PDA

View Full Version : Obama Doesnt Visit Landstuhl

MiaBeastley
07-29-2008, 12:24 AM
I have a real problem with him not going there and visiting the wounded soldiers. I think Lt. Col. Joe Reypya said it best

"The most solemn duty of a commander in chief is to fulfill his responsibility to the men and women who serve this country in uniform. Barack Obama ... broke that commitment, instead flitting from one European capital to the next"

Now matter how you wanna put it he did it because they would not allow reporters in, not because of the reasons he stated.

This is why the soldiers do not like him, no matter whether you are for or against the waryou need to show respect to these wounded warriors or they will have absolutely no respect for you.

ink
07-29-2008, 12:33 AM
What a manufactured non-issue. :pity:

MiaBeastley
07-29-2008, 12:37 AM

were you in the military huh???

Thats y

and it is an issue

ink
07-29-2008, 12:39 AM
were you in the military huh???

Thats y

and it is an issue

As a matter of fact, yes, I did work for the military and was good friends with the resident doctor and two of the commanding officers of an American base in Germany. I've posted about that before in other threads.

ari1013
07-29-2008, 12:46 AM
McCain's using the Clinton-kitchen-sink-approach to campaigning these days.

ink
07-29-2008, 12:57 AM
McCain's using the Clinton-kitchen-sink-approach to campaigning these days.

Exactly! And the John Kerry, day-to-day reaction mode. And we all know how well John Kerry did when he got stuck in that rut, constantly trying to denigrate what his opponent did or didn't do.

ari1013
07-29-2008, 01:02 AM
Exactly! And the John Kerry, day-to-day reaction mode. And we all know how well John Kerry did when he got stuck in that rut, constantly trying to denigrate what his opponent did or didn't do.
Yup. It's amazing that politicians still haven't realized that at the national level you can't win simply by "not being the other guy."

gcoll
07-29-2008, 01:06 AM
Yup. It's amazing that politicians still haven't realized that at the national level you can't win simply by "not being the other guy."

Isn't that how the democrats took back the congress? Granted that's state by state.....but still.

ari1013
07-29-2008, 01:11 AM
Isn't that how the democrats took back the congress? Granted that's state by state.....but still.
Yeah but it seems to work in state races. I think it has to do with the lack of coverage. In a local race, chances are the average voter has barely heard of any of the candidates. And in that case, going negative seems to work better by getting people to want to vote against the outed-sleazeball.

SmthBluCitrus
07-29-2008, 01:14 AM
From factcheck.org

ink is right. It's an issue that's a non-issue. But, I'm sure it will be spun. The McCain camp is just looking to spin all the goodwill that Obama is receiving from his oversea's trip.

It won't stick -- the people that will believe it are the people that have made up their minds already.

A new McCain ad says Obama "made time to go to the gym, but canceled a visit with wounded troops. Seems the Pentagon wouldn't allow him to bring cameras."

McCain's facts are literally true, but his insinuation that the visit was canceled because of the press ban or the desire for gym time is false. In fact, Obama visited wounded troops earlier without cameras or press both in the U.S. and Iraq. And his gym workouts are a daily routine.

The Obama campaign canceled the visit with wounded troops at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany, Obama says, when he learned that the Pentagon would not allow him to bring along a retired Air Force major general who is serving as a foreign policy adviser to the campaign. Obama says that "triggered then a concern that maybe our visit was going to be perceived as political."

The military's stated policy is to avoid "[a]ny activity that may be reasonably viewed as directly or indirectly associating the [Department of Defense] with a partisan political activity." Members of Congress are allowed to be photographed with the troops and appear with them while serving as public officials, but not as political candidates.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/snubbing_wounded_troops.html

Doc Fluty
07-29-2008, 01:26 AM

did you really just say that ari??????

obama is ONLY even in this election because he is the "other guy" ...that is, he isnt bush

and people view mccain and bush as the same... not all, but A LOT of people are just fed up with the bush white house and will vote democrat..

if this was 1992 1996 or 2000... a black senator with 143 days senate experience before announcing his candidacy wouldn't even get on the news, much less be favored to win the white house 8 months before the election...

MiaBeastley
07-29-2008, 01:34 AM

obama is ONLY even in this election because he is the "other guy" ...that is, he isnt bush

and people view mccain and bush as the same... not all, but A LOT of people are just fed up with the bush white house and will vote democrat..

if this was 1992 1996 or 2000... a black senator with 143 days senate experience before announcing his candidacy wouldn't even get on the news, much less be favored to win the white house 8 months before the election...

well put

and this might not be an issue to the average voter but it is to current military service men and woman, and veterans

ink
07-29-2008, 02:07 AM
well put

and this might not be an issue to the average voter but it is to current military service men and woman, and veterans

I'm not even sure that's correct. And I trust that military people are just as capable as us to do some fact checking as SmthBluCitrus did above when she linked to this - http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2...ed_troops.html . Give them some credit. They're not just going to blindly follow the McCain camp's attempts to spin a non-issue. And if they are, like ari said, they've probably already decided not to vote for Obama. It really is a non-issue, and the military people I've ever had the good fortune to know would not be fooled by the spin that's being applied to this. McCain's being petty and unfactual.

Doc Fluty
07-29-2008, 02:19 AM
I'm not even sure that's correct. And I trust that military people are just as capable as us to do some fact checking as SmthBluCitrus did above when she linked to this - http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2...ed_troops.html . Give them some credit. They're not just going to blindly follow the McCain camp's attempts to spin a non-issue. And if they are, like ari said, they've probably already decided not to vote for Obama. It really is a non-issue, and the military people I've ever had the good fortune to know would not be fooled by the spin that's being applied to this. McCain's being petty and unfactual.

i am a recently discharged disabled vet and it is a issue to me...

ink
07-29-2008, 02:37 AM
i am a recently discharged disabled vet and it is a issue to me...

And in fairness, you realize that he did visit soldiers in another location on the same trip but there were actually legitimate reasons for him not to visit Landstuhl? It's clearly laid out here - http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2...ed_troops.html . Would you vote for Obama anyway? Probably not, right?

ari1013
07-29-2008, 09:16 AM

Nope. Sorry. Obama is definitely not campaigning as the anti-Bush. Kerry did that. If you can't see the difference in their campaigns, I can't help you with this one.

PHX-SOXFAN
07-29-2008, 12:24 PM

but they did it with policy issues, not issues that don't affect voting records or policy. they showed that they represented the opposite of the policies of the current administration that have lead to the status quo

PUGS1688
07-29-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm in the military and I really don't care at all. He can't visit everyone.

PHX-SOXFAN
07-29-2008, 12:52 PM

well said. This is a nonissue, with the exception of Hannity, Rush, and the rest of the spinners.

CubsGirl
07-29-2008, 01:41 PM

Excuse me sir, but we're going to have to ask you to take your rational, clear-headed thinking and leave.

MiaBeastley
07-29-2008, 02:42 PM

Yor right but its a problem for me because basically he didnt do it cause he wasnt gonna get pr over it. No matter how he wants to put it that is the reason and everybody just quit defending him.

SmthBluCitrus
07-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Yor right but its a problem for me because basically he didnt do it cause he wasnt gonna get pr over it. No matter how he wants to put it that is the reason and everybody just quit defending him.

The fact of the matter is you have no clue as to Obama's motives. The only thing you have available to you is an opinion based on a McCain ad that is circulating.

Obama visited wounded troops at Walter Reed with no press or public fanfare. Obama visited wounded troops in Baghdad with no press or public fanfare. And, Obama didn't plan to bring any media to Landstuhl for the troop visit in the first place.

It's not an issue ... but your mind is made up. You weren't going to vote for him anyhow.

Doc Fluty
07-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Nope. Sorry. Obama is definitely not campaigning as the anti-Bush. Kerry did that. If you can't see the difference in their campaigns, I can't help you with this one.

i didnt say he was campaigning as an anti-bush... just stating that the mere fact he is NOT bush or a republican gives him a huge advantage...

PUGS1688
07-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Obama campaigns "Change." Whatever that means...

ari1013
07-29-2008, 10:58 PM
A bunch of reporters that were in Europe came out and said that there were never any plans of them going to the hospital. They back Obama's story 100%.

Before you blow it off as another example of the media behind Obama, I'll point you to that other thread and ask you to think about this: The media's all about the ratings. Bashing on Obama brings good ratings. So don't you think they'd LOVE to run with McCain's lies if there was even any chance of truth behind them?

ari1013
07-29-2008, 10:59 PM
i didnt say he was campaigning as an anti-bush... just stating that the mere fact he is NOT bush or a republican gives him a huge advantage...
Oh of course.

My point though is that when candidates simply campaign as the anti-______ they always lose. And that's the biggest problem with the McCain campaign. Ironically, I heard Sean Hannity talking about that exact point today on the radio.