PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Free Agent Thoughts...(sheets and cc)

hgtiger32
07-26-2008, 12:05 AM
Starting With the Major Free Agents:

We currently have a salary of $99,413,499

Ben Sheets
CC Sabathia
Eric Gagne
Ray Durham

when those four are in the FA pool we will have $40,625,000 "extra" to spend with

if we don't re-sign or "apply" the option we'll get $10 million from Cameron and $2.5 million from Mota

with that being said...we'll have roughly 40-50 million dollars to spend

Do we go after cc or benny, or both
do we go after a legit CF, 3B, or 2B
Do we re-sign our own players

MY "PRIORITY" OPINONS
1) Sign Corey Hart longtime
2) Decide what you want to do with Hardy(longterm) and Escobar
3) Get a pitcher...CC or Benny...rather have cc---not injury prone
4) Decide what you want to do about Prince Fielder
5)Develop the bullpen more

ANY OTHER IDEAS?

jtrinaldi
07-26-2008, 12:15 AM
we are not signing either
2nd base will be hardy or escobar probably hardy cause escobar is a great defensive ss
gamel will take 3rd
CF could do to brantley but i would wait 1 more yr unless brad nelson wants to play there i think a veteran would be fine for 1 more yr

parra
gallardo
jeffress
capuano
suppan /mclung prob suppan cause he wont go to bullpen

jtrinaldi
07-26-2008, 12:17 AM
note we will then have 5 picks in top 45 if we let them go

OC Knights #11
07-26-2008, 12:30 AM
i think we sign at least one of them. Depending on how we finish the season out.

Brewersin08
07-26-2008, 12:42 AM
Starting Rotation:

1. Sabathia-resign him, let Benny walk. We can afford 1 25 mil type guy.
2. Gallardo
3. Parra
4. Capuano/Bush
5. Suppan

Bullpen:

1. Torres CL-pick up his 3.75 million option
2. Riske SU
3. Shouse LHS
4. Stetter MRP
5. Villanueve MRP
6. McClung LRP
7. Bush/Capuano

Lineup:

1. Escobar SS
2. Hardy 2B
3. Braun LF
4. Fielder 1B
5. Hart RF
6. Gamel 3B
7. Mark Kotsay CF-sign as free agent or Gwynn or trade Hall/Weeks for CF
8. Kendall C- pick up option

Trade Weeks, Hall for CF and/or bullpen help.

hgtiger32
07-26-2008, 12:56 AM
depends on how weeks finishes the year...gamel wont be ready by the start of the year and neither will escobar(midseason~perhaps like braun)...we will def. sign a SP ace

OnWisconsin2007
07-26-2008, 01:10 AM
You guys don't know what you're talking about. Why would you move Hardy, a .300 hitting SS tied for the best fielding percentage in the NL? He's about as good as you're going to get at SS. Escobar would be the one to play 2B, if anything. This isn't The Show, you can't just move players around. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Gamel won't play third next year. He's an ATTROCIOUS fielder. His best chance to make the team would be RF, assuming Corey Hart can transition to center. Gamel's bat may be ready but I can promise you that he won't play 3B in the major leagues. He's that bad. And I'd rather have a more affordable Sheets than CC, who wants 25 million per. That's a lot of money. You could sure up the bullpen with the difference between Sabathia and Sheets' contract. I'd rather sign a good SP in free agency as well. That way you can have Sheets, Gallardo, Parra, and maybe another good pitcher.

Brewersin08
07-26-2008, 12:11 PM
You guys don't know what you're talking about. Why would you move Hardy, a .300 hitting SS tied for the best fielding percentage in the NL? He's about as good as you're going to get at SS. Escobar would be the one to play 2B, if anything. This isn't The Show, you can't just move players around. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Gamel won't play third next year. He's an ATTROCIOUS fielder. His best chance to make the team would be RF, assuming Corey Hart can transition to center. Gamel's bat may be ready but I can promise you that he won't play 3B in the major leagues. He's that bad. And I'd rather have a more affordable Sheets than CC, who wants 25 million per. That's a lot of money. You could sure up the bullpen with the difference between Sabathia and Sheets' contract. I'd rather sign a good SP in free agency as well. That way you can have Sheets, Gallardo, Parra, and maybe another good pitcher.

Sheets is going to command very similar money to Sabathia. Sabathia is a better pitcher and isn't an injury risk. Escobar can't play AA forever. He eventually has to be inserted into the lineup. I think JJ would transition nicey to 2B. Escobar's defense=>Hardy's.

favre_4life
07-26-2008, 12:29 PM
Anybody who still thinks Matt Gamel is going to be our starting 3rd baseman next yearis seriously delusional. The dude is atrocious on defense.

OnWisconsin2007
07-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Sheets is going to command very similar money to Sabathia. Sabathia is a better pitcher and isn't an injury risk. Escobar can't play AA forever. He eventually has to be inserted into the lineup. I think JJ would transition nicey to 2B. Escobar's defense=>Hardy's.

No, that's not true. You don't know if Escobar has better defense since he hasn't played in the majors yet. There's absolutely no reason to move JJ. Why don't we just have Prince transition to catcher? (joking of course)

If anything, I could maybe see Escobar playing 3rd, or possibly second. Next year, anyways, Gamel and Escobar won't even start the season in the majors. AAA at best. So hold your horses for a while.

PackCrewBuckBad
07-26-2008, 02:13 PM
why would we start so many rookies? You want us to suck again. Moving hardy would be stupid. He is one of the best fielding SS in the game, so moving him would make all the sense in the world :rolleyes:
You thought braun was bad at 3rd, wait till you see Gamel!

crizgolfer
07-26-2008, 04:28 PM
I don't know guys. Signing Sabbathia is a long shot if he hits the free agent market. Sure, we can afford one $25 million per year player...but....if we were to offer him $25 million why would the Yankees (or someone like that)...not offer him $27 million....$30 million...or whatever it takes.

brewersfan729
07-26-2008, 05:04 PM
No, that's not true. You don't know if Escobar has better defense since he hasn't played in the majors yet.

Escobar is so much better than Hardy on defense, it's really not even close. And what does that mean he hasn't played defense in the majors yet? Who cares? You can actually project defense in the majors unlike offense.

spazzmccrory
07-26-2008, 07:41 PM

hARDY WILL PLAY SECOND NEXT YEAR!

Brooke
07-26-2008, 08:41 PM
why move Hardy he is a great SS, they don't need to change that at all

wwfd1220
07-26-2008, 08:47 PM
^^^ agreed ^^^^^ i would love too see them go deep in the season and give antanasio more revenue to pay good players. and sign up some of these guys

hgtiger32
07-26-2008, 10:04 PM
C- Jason Kendal, Angel Salome
1B- Prince Fielder
2B- Rickie Weeks
SS- J.J. Hardy
3B- Aldices Escobar
LF- Ryan Braun
CF- Corey Hart
RF- Mat Gamel

Just a thought...not starting or anything...but a possible middle/end of year lineup

wissportsfan
07-26-2008, 10:34 PM
I actually think we'll have a shot at signing CC. It all depends on how far we go also. The deeper we go the more revenue we are getting as well. Plus Gagne and Cameron's contracts are off the books, and Sheets too so thats 18 mil right there.

crizgolfer
07-26-2008, 11:21 PM
Attanasio said that payroll is at the point where if the Brewers win the World Series then they might break even. I have no link, but it was said on the FSN broadcast right after CC joined the team.

They could make a real nice offer to him. The problem I see is that if he does go free agency just to feel things out, then we can always be outbid. No matter what we offer him. He will be the number one free agent pitcher available.

spazzmccrory
07-27-2008, 04:02 AM
Why move hardy to second? You blogers really don't know how good escobar is do you? It is said that he is ALREADY in the top three for defenders in all MLB. "A SHOW STOPPER" so move our week link weeks OUT and a great defender Hardy to second. Then we loose more money so we can sign one of our top pitchers. I did hear that the brewers will only break even but that has to be wrong. I have never see so many people wearing brewers gear in this state EVER. Plus the stadium is selling out like every game. I think at last years revenue they thought they would break even they never thought they would sell so many tickets. They have to be ,making revenue now. GOOD PLAYERS PUT PEOPLE IN THE STANDS

jtrinaldi
07-27-2008, 10:11 AM
With all these wins dont u think he will just be making the money by win and then he will cash in with NY

Martz
07-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Nobody from the AA team will be on our opening day roster next year. Let Gwynn start in CF and see if he's worth anything. I think he could be decent to good. Give Weeks one last season because Escobar is in the bigs. Then you decide what to do with that situation. We should go Sabathia if we had to choose, simply because of his bat. Benny may be cheaper but more of a gamble with his history of injuries. If we start gwynn we can save extra money to spend of CC...

But if we sign CC....that hurts us in signing the rest of our young guys.

Martz
07-27-2008, 12:16 PM
ESCOBAR AND GAMEL, OR ANYONE AT THE AA LEVEL (sept maybe gibbons) WILL NOT BE IN THE BIGS COME OPENING DAY NEXT YEAR...END OF STORY....

Move on, they are not in consideration. Gamel has too much work to do on defense. Yes he's aweful now...but is making major gains. Kinda scary to think where he was last year.......yikes. Escobar has work to do yet with his bat. Yeah he's tearing up AA, but it would be nice to improve his OBP and Slugging. Still that average is pretty nice. (yeah i know bla bla bla ave is overrated...I hate those guys...)

OC Knights #11
07-27-2008, 01:24 PM
why would we start so many rookies? You want us to suck again. Moving hardy would be stupid. He is one of the best fielding SS in the game, so moving him would make all the sense in the world :rolleyes:
You thought braun was bad at 3rd, wait till you see Gamel!

totally agree. For all of you people that bashed Braun on how bad he was at third, just wait on till you see Gamel, there is no way he plays third.

OnWisconsin2007
07-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Why would you want to waste Hardy's defensive skills at second base, AKA the RF of the infield? If anything i could see Escobar playing third, at some point in the future, and Gamel playing RF with Hart in center. That's what I could possibly see. Some of you people need to realize that this isn't MLB The Show, you can't just arbitrarily replace players and just assume that rookies can start in the majors and dominate.

BaRRySandAmaN
07-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Hardy is a monster at SS, if anything Escobar will move to second base but I really dont see Rickie going anywhere.
CC will sign if we can get deep IMO, I say we have to keep one of them though. Either Sheets or Sabathia.

Well the game is on....

spazzmccrory
07-27-2008, 05:07 PM
ESCOBAR WILL START NEXT YEAR. You all know he is on the 40 man roster now right? The reason he is in AA is because there is better pitching in AA. AND I love hardy but escobar is heads and sholders better defencly there and thats saying ALOT

hgtiger32
07-27-2008, 11:55 PM
better pitching in AA than AAA is what i hope you're saying...but reality is that MLB is WAY, WAY, WAY better than AAA or AA pitching...if he's that good defensively--- which i agree that i think he is...then put is slick glove @ 3B ...escobar won't start next year unless he tears up the entire spring training pitching

brewersfan729
07-28-2008, 12:08 AM
You guys really don't get it. Either Hardy is moving to a different position or he's being traded because Escobar isn't moving off of SS.

OnWisconsin2007
07-28-2008, 12:28 AM
You guys really don't get it. Either Hardy is moving to a different position or he's being traded because Escobar isn't moving off of SS.

Really? What reason would anybody have to move a .300 hitting SS with the best fielding percentage in the NL?

spazzmccrory
07-28-2008, 01:49 AM

Correct!@!!!! BINGO BANGO. WHY do you all have such a hard time seeing hardy play second???? Third is a way different pos than short. Yes I think hardy can play there but thrid is all reaction not as much range as say SECOND. Hardy would be damn close to the best defence second base man that YES HITS 300.

Blogers ESCOBAR was almost on the 25 man roster this year. he will be in the majors next year.

jiggin
07-28-2008, 02:04 AM
the suitors for CC and Sheets are already starting to lineup. Problem with trying to beat out other teams for their services on a new contract isn't just the money, its that some teams are fine with going over the comfort number in years which player (especially pitchers) like for job security purposes. If you get a team like the yankees, red sox, rangers, angels, phillies or dodgers willing to offer up a 5 year deal to a pitcher...its going to be very hard to match by raising the dollar amount per year on a 3 or 4 year deal. Add in no trade security and player options and it may be hard to play hard ball with big money teams.

It should be a very interesting off-season for the brewers and I think a lot of it depends on what happens at the end of this year. The money made by the club if they make the post season could help pay that extra money needed to sign one or two of these high dollar FA...but without it, will they shell out the big bucks?