PDA

View Full Version : George Sherrill

IndiansFan337
07-24-2008, 12:04 PM
The Baltimore Sun reports that the Brewers and Cardinals are "the two most aggressive suitors" for George Sherrill.
The newspaper notes that the Dodgers, Cubs, Reds, Phillies, Marlins and Tigers have also been scouting Sherrill recently, adding that the Orioles are said to be "looking for two, if not three prospects in return" for him.
Rotoworld.com

The Brewers could add this guy, I assume he would become a SU man for Torres?

OnWisconsin2007
07-24-2008, 12:34 PM
I would assume he'd be an 8th inning guy. Torres is, and will remain the closer.

Brooke
07-24-2008, 12:41 PM
he probably would be a 8th inning guy. They do need a little bullpen help and I did hear they might make one more deal by the deadline and it will would be a reliever if they made a move

BaRRySandAmaN
07-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Yeah but the O's want 2 or 3 prospects for him alone....IDK about that. It all depends on what level of prospect they are looking for right now. I would take Sherrill or Street in a heartbeat though

Brew Crew
07-24-2008, 02:50 PM
It would be a battle for the position if we got Sherrill. Look at how Weeks has done ever since we got Durham. He's given no reason to be sat yet. All about competition between the squad. Sherrill would get the spot because Yost and the rest of the coaches like Torres in the eight hole. Think about it...Even with Gagne looking good...We go Gagne, Torres, and Sherrill in the late innings we are set(not to mention Riske, Shouse and not Mota).

Smithy04
07-24-2008, 03:01 PM
He's been an excellent RP this year for Baltimore, but we can't give up Gamel or Escobar in a trade.

Driven
07-24-2008, 03:04 PM
I don't understand all the hype for Escobar. He's accomplished nothing in the minors. I'm sure the Orioles would want him, but I just don't see him ever accomplishing anything.

jtrinaldi
07-24-2008, 04:13 PM
escobar will be a star for us in the future

hgtiger32
07-24-2008, 04:45 PM
accomplished nothing??? really so hitting for power (7 HRs and 66 RBIs) and .335 is "nothing"

Martz
07-24-2008, 05:06 PM
accomplished nothing??? really so hitting for power (7 HRs and 66 RBIs) and .335 is "nothing"

on top of other wordly defense.

If that's nothing, i'll take nothing any day of the week.

OnWisconsin2007
07-24-2008, 05:28 PM
It would be a battle for the position if we got Sherrill. Look at how Weeks has done ever since we got Durham. He's given no reason to be sat yet. All about competition between the squad. Sherrill would get the spot because Yost and the rest of the coaches like Torres in the eight hole. Think about it...Even with Gagne looking good...We go Gagne, Torres, and Sherrill in the late innings we are set(not to mention Riske, Shouse and not Mota).

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

hgtiger32
07-24-2008, 10:05 PM
good point---i agree with this 80%...:)

BaRRySandAmaN
07-24-2008, 10:33 PM
To say escobar isnt a special player is nuts. He is going to be a star for us. I would love to see Hardy at 3rd and Escobar at SS for the future.

Driven
07-25-2008, 12:53 AM
Yeah, he's hitting .335. That's great. That means nothing. His OBP is .365 - a good number, but obviously he doesn't walk much and it's almost exclusively due to average. His OPS is nothing special. It's an .803. His slugging is pretty bad - .438.

I'm sorry, I'm just not exactly enamored with an undrafted player who's career stats are a pathetic .292/.328/.367/.695. No plate discipline + no power = no thanks.

This is the first good season he's had in the minors. To say he's shown anything so far is an outlandish and likely highly biased statement.

sieracki24
07-25-2008, 01:36 AM
No matter what happens...I just have a faith in Melvin like I have never had with any GM ever before...just do what you feel is right Dougie!

WI Sports Fan
07-25-2008, 01:54 AM
Yeah, he's hitting .335. That's great. That means nothing. His OBP is .365 - a good number, but obviously he doesn't walk much and it's almost exclusively due to average. His OPS is nothing special. It's an .803. His slugging is pretty bad - .438.

I'm sorry, I'm just not exactly enamored with an undrafted player who's career stats are a pathetic .292/.328/.367/.695. No plate discipline + no power = no thanks.

This is the first good season he's had in the minors. To say he's shown anything so far is an outlandish and likely highly biased statement.

Are you honestly trying to downgrade him because he was an undrafted teenager from Venezuela? Wow...

First of all, Escobar has impressed everyone with his fielding from day one, and that's why he is such a highly touted prospect. He has a plus arm with very good speed and range. Whatever he's able to add at the plate is a bonus; not what he's coveted for.

His offense is limited to a high average, low K total and good speed. That sounds like a perfect 2 hitter to me. He has averaged 25 steals in about 100 games each year. He has had a solid average most of the time. When you also consider he has been one of the youngest players at every single level, there's no reason to doubt him.

Obviously he needs to work on plate discipline, and I doubt he's ever going to be above average in that area, but that hardly destroys his potential.

Martz
07-25-2008, 11:35 AM
To say escobar isnt a special player is nuts. He is going to be a star for us. I would love to see Hardy at 3rd and Escobar at SS for the future.

I can only pray this Happens. Then Gamel goes to First after Prince leaves because of his dumb*** money grubbing agent and we should be set for a while. Unless we can somehow keep Prince and move Gamel to the outfield. Could you imagine that lineup?

Weeks 2B
Hardy 3B
Braun LF
Fielder 1B
Gamel RF
Hart CF
Escobar SS
(Salome? Kendall??? Lawrie?????) C
(Big time Wishful thinking, and i emphasize BIG TIME) Sabathia P

Yeah that's kind've a wet dream right there.

Martz
07-25-2008, 11:38 AM

This is your brain

This is your brain on drugs.

Any questions?

PackCrewBuckBad
07-25-2008, 01:52 PM
^ funny, but uncalled for.

Brewersin08
07-25-2008, 02:00 PM

I wish the Brewers had an everyday player that was hitting .292! How is that pathetic? :rolleyes:

Martz
07-25-2008, 02:12 PM
I wish the Brewers had an everyday player that was hitting .292! How is that pathetic? :rolleyes:

Braun is now batting .301 and and JJ is batting .300. But i see what your saying

An extra bat in the lineup at .292 wouldn't be too bad.

TheRedMarauder
07-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Brewers GM Doug Melvin downplayed his team's interest in George Sherrill on Thursday.

Despite being called one of "the two most aggressive suitors" for Sherrill by the Baltimore Sun, Melvin said he hasn't engaged in trade talks with the O's. Baltimore is looking for a shortstop, and Melvin doesn't want to trade Alcides Escobar. "Unless (the Orioles) change their mind, I donít see anything happening," Melvin said.

rotoworld

mattz1212
07-25-2008, 04:00 PM
I don't get why so many people were harsh on him, somebody who glances over the stats is probably more inclined to believe Escobar isn't all he's cracked up to be. And it's true BA is an overblown stat and it's one of the few offensive catagories that Escobar excels in, he has little plate patience which somewhat negates the high BA but it is something that can be worked on but as mentioned before I don't ever foresee him being an OBP machine. But he has outstanding defense, good speed, and the good news is his power/SLG numbers are improving which is a very good sign for a 21 year old. Again, no he may not be a future star, but he certainly looks to be a solid MLBer in the future.

Martz
07-25-2008, 04:19 PM
I don't get why so many people were harsh on him, somebody who glances over the stats is probably more inclined to believe Escobar isn't all he's cracked up to be. And it's true BA is an overblown stat and it's one of the few offensive catagories that Escobar excels in, he has little plate patience which somewhat negates the high BA but it is something that can be worked on but as mentioned before I don't ever foresee him being an OBP machine. But he has outstanding defense, good speed, and the good news is his power/SLG numbers are improving which is a very good sign for a 21 year old. Again, no he may not be a future star, but he certainly looks to be a solid MLBer in the future.

Yeah Ozzie Smith's OBP (.337) was average and SLG (.328) was below average as well. But he's a Hall of Famer. 13 Gold Gloves....kinda amazing what defense can get ya.

Hardy is a great defensive SS. They say Hardy isn't in the same league as Escobar when it comes to defense. Top prospect and potential star in the big leagues....kinda amazing what defense can get ya.

Granted Ozzie did it in the big leagues for 19 years. But i think i'll take my chances on the 21 year old and say he's gonna be a star.