PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Free Agency Looking Up

blackjack_119
07-23-2008, 01:26 PM
As the Blazers look forward to the 2009 Free Agency with the hopes of finding a long term solution at SF, the class has rapidly gone from bleak to deep. Two months ago, Lamar Odom looked like the only legitimate UFA at SF. Since that time, Ron Artest decided against opting out of his contract which will make him a free agent next season. Additionally, it now looks like both Josh Smith and Luol Deng will end up accepting their qualifying offer and becoming unrestricted free agents in 2009. Look at the Blazers options now:

Unrestricted Free Agents:
Josh Smith
Luol Deng
Ron Artest
Lamar Odom

Restricted Free Agents:
Danny Granger
Marvin Williams
Martell Webster (worst case scenario... we match an offer for him)

If Kevin Pritchard can acquire any of the three young studs (Josh Smith, Danny Granger, Luol Deng) the other 29 teams shouldn't even bother showing up anytime in the next decade. The talent difference between the Blazers and the second best team would be staggering.

PG: Bayless/Blake
SG: Roy/Fernandez
SF: Josh Smith/Outlaw
PF: Aldridge/Frye
C: Oden/Pryzbilla
:up:

Hustla23
07-23-2008, 06:45 PM
2009 is really your last shot to acquire any notable free agents. Pretty soon all those players who are making rookie change are gonna take on big contracts putting you wayyy over the cap.

If you can land a Smith or Deng, you guys are set. Josh Smith just wants money and Artest wants a championship. You can offer both I suppose.

The only problem I can see is the whole small market thing. Not a great attraction for FA's.

A.Mopp
07-23-2008, 06:48 PM
Deng would be the best option i think. And i think the Portland "market: is looking better because we are a team that is going to be competitive for years to come. Players could take less because we will be a legit championship contender year in and year out.

mustang22
07-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Josh Smith and Ron Artest would be great for this team, but I don't see it as a good fit for either because of a lack of veteran leadership, which would be needed for these two to keep their heads on straight. I think Shawn Marion would be the guy who'd make the most sense for this extraordinarily talented team.