PDA

View Full Version : Brewers worried about future of Sheets and Fielder

jiggin
07-07-2008, 03:56 PM
There are several reasons the Brewers decided their window of opportunity to shoot for the playoffs was this year. With right-hander Ben Sheets headed for free agency after the season and the future of first baseman Prince Fielder uncertain after he turned down a big contract, there's no guarantee of having this chance next year or beyond. The play of his team over the past six weeks convinced Brewers general manager Doug Melvin another standout pitcher might lead to something special. The Brewers have the best record (29-15) in the National League since May 20 and pulled percentages points ahead of St. Louis on Sunday for first place in the wild-card standings. The Brewers have climbed from 7 1/2 games behind first-place Chicago to 3 1/2 back over that span and still have 10 games remaining against the Cubs, including seven at Miller Park. With Sheets (10-2, 2.77), who was named to his fourth All-Star Game Sunday, C.C. Sabathia and left-hander Manny Parra (8-2, 3.69), the Brewers believe they have three power pitchers atop their rotation who match up with any club in the league

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=769685

I posted this before but Sheets has already said publicly that he is going to test the market. Sabathia turned down a 4 year 70 million dollar offer from the indians in Spring Training in order to try and cash in on the market with close to a Santana sized deal (5 years 130+ million). I don't think the brewers can keep all or even part of those two, realistically, so it looks like the Sabathia signing might be an all or nothing type of deal, with draft picks as the consolation if things don't work out.

The Fielder situation is very interesting. It seems that management has not only been unable to get him inked to a contract but somehow seemed to offend him in the negotiations. Can they afford to keep doing the arbitration hearing process? It could get very expensive and only leads to more questions about his future with the organization, going year to year until he is a FA.

Cubs are in talks with several clubs to land a pitcher and the cardinals are expecting Wainwright and possibly carpenter back at some point after the break (carpenter is a long shot). Mulder is back and is starting Wed. this week for the cardinals against the Phillies. It seems that the NL Central is all buckling down to make a run at the playoffs.

Brew Crew
07-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Ehh...I'm not that worried yet. Chances are these two would go to A.L. teams so we wouldn't have to worry about them but if they were to be gone that means we have more money to spread across the table on other guys. We'll see. I'm focused solely on this season and I hope these next 3-4 months will be amazing.

Martz
07-07-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm sure DM will worry about that when we get there. Enjoy it now.

jwdaly07
07-07-2008, 05:25 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=769685

I posted this before but Sheets has already said publicly that he is going to test the market. Sabathia turned down a 4 year 70 million dollar offer from the indians in Spring Training in order to try and cash in on the market with close to a Santana sized deal (5 years 130+ million). I don't think the brewers can keep all or even part of those two, realistically, so it looks like the Sabathia signing might be an all or nothing type of deal, with draft picks as the consolation if things don't work out.

The Fielder situation is very interesting. It seems that management has not only been unable to get him inked to a contract but somehow seemed to offend him in the negotiations. Can they afford to keep doing the arbitration hearing process? It could get very expensive and only leads to more questions about his future with the organization, going year to year until he is a FA.

Cubs are in talks with several clubs to land a pitcher and the cardinals are expecting Wainwright and possibly carpenter back at some point after the break (carpenter is a long shot). Mulder is back and is starting Wed. this week for the cardinals against the Phillies. It seems that the NL Central is all buckling down to make a run at the playoffs.
Where do you get "Brewers worried" from that article? The writer just said "there's no guarantee of having this chance next year or beyond", I didn't see anything from Yost or Melvin saying "yeah we're really worried about our future"

This just seems like a Cub fan trying to quash Brewer fan enthusiasm.

And anyways our future is perfectly fine should Sheets and Sabathia leave, and if we end up having to trade Fielder.

OnWisconsin2007
07-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Cubs fans have to fight back, we got CC and they're going to get Randy Wolf.....;)

brewersfan729
07-07-2008, 05:31 PM
The part you quoted means you have to go for it when you get the chance because you never know what the future brings. Just look at the Indians. Last year they were one game away from the World Series. Now they just traded their ace midseason, I'm sure they weren't planning on that going into spring training.

IndiansFan337
07-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Well, they control the rights to Fielder for a few more seasons....So if he is to go anyone, it will be decided by the team. Sheets, on the other hand, has the right to choose his next employer. This winter is going to be a very interesting one for this team. But it will depend heavily on how they finish the season...

OnWisconsin2007
07-07-2008, 06:05 PM
I have a feeling Sheets will stay in Milwaukee. He kinda seems like the guy that likes the smaller market feel. I hope so at least. And if Milwaukee loses both Ben Sheets and CC, then I'm sure they will go out and get another good SP.

jiggin
07-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Where do you get "Brewers worried" from that article? The writer just said "there's no guarantee of having this chance next year or beyond", I didn't see anything from Yost or Melvin saying "yeah we're really worried about our future"

This just seems like a Cub fan trying to quash Brewer fan enthusiasm.

And anyways our future is perfectly fine should Sheets and Sabathia leave, and if we end up having to trade Fielder.

It came from FoxSports.com and their rumors section: http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/mlb#2

You need to stop being so paranoid. Seriously. A little investigating yourself and you could answer your own questions by finding your own answers.

jiggin
07-07-2008, 06:29 PM
I have a feeling Sheets will stay in Milwaukee. He kinda seems like the guy that likes the smaller market feel. I hope so at least. And if Milwaukee loses both Ben Sheets and CC, then I'm sure they will go out and get another good SP.

sheets has already come out and said he will test the market, its in many many media outlets but here is one from MIL:

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/06/24/sheets-has-eye-on-free-agency.aspx

jwdaly07
07-07-2008, 06:29 PM
The title of the article is "Brewers make trade for pitcher C.C. Sabathia"

jiggin
07-07-2008, 06:57 PM
The title of the article is "Brewers make trade for pitcher C.C. Sabathia"

Please click on the link I gave in my post above ( I edited it from the source that led me to the article), the one that says the title came from here and has a foxsports.com link. That is where the article came from and you can see that is the title they gave it, which I cut and paste.

I am not trying to stir up anything, just providing more information on the topic. The Brewers have made a commitment to go after it this year because they don't know about keeping Sheets and Fielder is going to get really expensive in the next couple years and they haven't gotten even close in contract talks to the point where Fielder was 'offended'.

Look, here is another article for your pleasure...a good one, to provide more info from the front office:

Milwaukee Brerwers general manager Doug Melvin said his team’s improved play and the turnout of the fans were big factors in doing the deal that sent prospect Matt LaPorta and three minor leaguers to the Cleveland Indians.Melvin said he wanted the deal done now so Sabathia could make two starts before the break and get as much out of him as possible.Melvin just said, "We’re going for it," meaning the playoffs. "We felt we needed to go for it at this point. We figure this is a year that gives us a good chance. It was all about now. The club has played well lately," said Melvin. That encouraged me and gave me the confidence to make this deal. We want to take the next step and make sure we have the best chance to get to the post-season. Obviously, the fans, if they don’t come out, we don’t do this."Melvin went on to say "it’s always tough to give up a young player" but thanked his scouting and player development staff for putting the organization in a position to do the deal. Brewers vice president Rick Schlesinger also just said "the phones have been ringing off the hook" with fans calling to get tickets for the game Tuesday night in which Sabathia make his first start. "That’s part of him coming in here now," said Melvin. "That is important. It’s nice to ave him and Ben Sheets at the top of the rotation."

very cool article on the situation

http://tradeheadlines.com/?p=5941

jwdaly07
07-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Read the whole article. Its a bunch of stories pieced together.

I just did, and still don't see anything titled "Brewers worried about future of Sheets and Fielder"

Ronhaus
07-07-2008, 08:03 PM
I also believe Sheets will be back and he will give the Brewers the first chance. He loves Milwaukee and lets not forget he also owns part of the Admirals. And if Sabathia takes a liking to Milwaukee theres no reason he wouldnt stay. GO CREW:clap:

jiggin
07-07-2008, 08:30 PM
I just did, and still don't see anything titled "Brewers worried about future of Sheets and Fielder"

It came from FoxSports.com and their rumors section: http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/mlb#2

I posted this already, but you appear to ignore that post.

jiggin
07-07-2008, 08:32 PM
I also believe Sheets will be back and he will give the Brewers the first chance. He loves Milwaukee and lets not forget he also owns part of the Admirals. And if Sabathia takes a liking to Milwaukee theres no reason he wouldnt stay. GO CREW:clap:

Sabathia wants a santana like deal. He turned down a 4 year 70 million dollar offer from the indians at ST this year.

Sheets has been quoted saying he will test the market, especially with how good a year he is having.

How can the brewers afford to keep both of these guys? Do you really believe the brewers could afford sabathia if he really is looking for something even in the ballpark of 5 years 130, like what santana got?

jwdaly07
07-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Sabathia wants a santana like deal. He turned down a 4 year 70 million dollar offer from the indians at ST this year.

Sheets has been quoted saying he will test the market, especially with how good a year he is having.

How can the brewers afford to keep both of these guys? Do you really believe the brewers could afford sabathia if he really is looking for something even in the ballpark of 5 years 130, like what santana got?

I don't get why Cub fans think "I'm going to test the market" and "I'm leaving" are the same thing. Players test the market all the time. Sheets loves Milwaukee and there's no doubt in my mind he will give them a nice little discount if need be.

Sabathia will leave for sure, Sheets may or may not.