PDA

View Full Version : what free agent should we go after in the summer of 2009?

znick21
07-06-2008, 11:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-09-10

the only unrestricted free agents that at least in my opinion would be semi-good for us would be andre millier, jason kidd, and shawn marion. even with them i'm not particulary impressed with the 2009 free agents.

as for restricted free agents i think we should go after danny granger although it will never happen.

Boozerguy47
07-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Honestly I can't think of anyone really that the Blazers need. Only couple small chips they need are maybe another back-up PG and C/PF.

Just no Jason Kidd, please...

znick21
07-07-2008, 01:27 AM
haha i pretty much agree on the jason kidd thing i only added him to that list because there is literally NOTHING out there. i think we'd be better off using raef's contract and trading him at the deadline a la memphis/la last year.

Raetz52
07-07-2008, 01:40 AM
Yeah, Raefs contract is horrible.

blackjack_119
07-07-2008, 01:44 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-09-10

the only unrestricted free agents that at least in my opinion would be semi-good for us would be andre millier, jason kidd, and shawn marion. even with them i'm not particulary impressed with the 2009 free agents.

as for restricted free agents i think we should go after danny granger although it will never happen.

Danny Granger is target #1 for the Blazers. Back at the trade deadline, the two players that Kevin Pritchard targeted were Danny Granger and Jose Calderon. Indiana had better lock Granger up, or else Portland would not hesitate to offer him a max contract. (Indiana might match, but that would be a tough pill for them to swallow.)

Other options:
Re-sign Martell Webster if he has a breakout season.
Sign Marvin Williams if Atlanta re-signs Josh Smith.
Sign Ron Artest if he has another year without incident
Sign Shawn Marion

How nice would this lineup be:
C: Greg Oden/Joel Pryzbilla
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge/Channing Frye
SF: Danny Granger/Travis Outlaw
SG: Brandon Roy/Rudy Fernandez
PG: Jerryd Bayless/Sergio Rodriguez/Petteri Koponen

Raetz52
07-07-2008, 02:14 AM
Granger would be an amazing addition, but I highly doubt it...

znick21
07-07-2008, 02:33 AM
what does everyone think about ramon sessions? he'll be a restricted free agent next summer and he averaged 8 points and 7.5 assists last year while only playing 26 mins a game. i know his stats are probably a little inflated but over his last 5 games last season he averaged 14 points and 15 assists. that's an impressive feat for anyone let alone a rookie nba point guard.

it really all depends on what kind of year he has this year to see if he can keep it up or not and if milwaukee is willing to throw a lot of money his way. let's not forget they just gave a huge deal to mo williams.

i don't know how serious i am about this because afterall he was drafted 56th overall last year, but the dude tore it up at the d-league and when he got called up. but i must admit he is a very intriguing prospect.

blackjack_119
07-07-2008, 02:43 AM
I'm not that big on Sessions... plus, I am still of the opinion that the Blazers need a combo guard to play next to Roy (Bayless, Gordon, Barbosa) as opposed to a pure PG. He would be good for the second unit, but Milwaukee wouldn't let him leave his he was only making "reserve player" salary. They are very high on him.

znick21
07-07-2008, 03:10 AM
very true. honestly if we didn't add anybody we will still be totally fine. we just have so much depth at every position i think pretty much any player we would be adding, other than a legit small forward or pg, would most likely be on the second unit anyway i just think it gives us a lot of flexibility in the players we go after.

personally i think we go for someone with the highest potential like marvin williams. that's the only reason i even brought up sessions.

A.Mopp
07-07-2008, 05:15 PM
I want the Blazers to make a run at Deron Williams if he does not sign an extension. Throw him a max contract, he would be a great addition to this team. He would put us over the top right away.

ragee
07-07-2008, 08:43 PM
I want the Blazers to make a run at Deron Williams if he does not sign an extension. Throw him a max contract, he would be a great addition to this team. He would put us over the top right away.

I am hoping for that too! LOL However, I think it not likely to happen...

ragee
07-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Honestly I can't think of anyone really that the Blazers need. Only couple small chips they need are maybe another back-up PG and C/PF.

Just no Jason Kidd, please...

I think Jason Kidd will be very cheap after his contract expires... When that happens, I think it'll be ok to sign him... You will have a veteran leader who can be an good back up pg...

ragee
07-07-2008, 09:03 PM
I'm not that big on Sessions... plus, I am still of the opinion that the Blazers need a combo guard to play next to Roy (Bayless, Gordon, Barbosa) as opposed to a pure PG. He would be good for the second unit, but Milwaukee wouldn't let him leave his he was only making "reserve player" salary. They are very high on him.

Man, This reminds me of the never ending argument of you and jnb about Bayless! LOL... For me, I'd rather have a true pg... A pass first pg but can score at will if needed... Once Aldridge and Oden develops their post up game, it would be nice to have a true pg and a sg who is also a great passer... This would make it easier for the team to put the ball inside the paint with our twin towers at good positions very easy...

jnb58
07-09-2008, 05:46 AM

I think Bayless, Roy, Fernandez are all combo guards. Combo guards shoot too much and don't match up well on D.

I think Jason Kidd will be very cheap after his contract expires... When that happens, I think it'll be ok to sign him... You will have a veteran leader who can be an good back up pg...

I agree. I would take Kidd with a new and cheaper contract in a heartbeat. Every Blazer fan knows the value Pippen had for the team. I find that to be an identical situation.

Man, This reminds me of the never ending argument of you and jnb about Bayless! LOL... For me, I'd rather have a true pg... A pass first pg but can score at will if needed... Once Aldridge and Oden develops their post up game, it would be nice to have a true pg and a sg who is also a great passer... This would make it easier for the team to put the ball inside the paint with our twin towers at good positions very easy...

Lol. You and I are on the same page on this subject.
I've been watching Fernandez's highlights and it looks to me like he is a very good passer. nbadraft.net had him as a SG/PG. I think passing 2 guards are better to have along side pure PGs.

Remember all the great 2s could pass, Jordan/West/Barry/Drexler/Iverson... ect. averaged 5+ per game for their careers.

Baller1
07-09-2008, 12:16 PM

That wouldn't be fair for the rest of the NBA though...

A.Mopp
07-09-2008, 01:18 PM
That wouldn't be fair for the rest of the NBA though...

lol exactly

Baller1
07-09-2008, 04:22 PM
lol exactly

The Blazers are already going to win the next 5 champonships starting around 2010, do you really need to win 5 more? haha

ragee
07-10-2008, 08:30 AM
Lol. You and I are on the same page on this subject.
I've been watching Fernandez's highlights and it looks to me like he is a very good passer. nbadraft.net had him as a SG/PG. I think passing 2 guards are better to have along side pure PGs.

Remember all the great 2s could pass, Jordan/West/Barry/Drexler/Iverson... ect. averaged 5+ per game for their careers.

Yeah? That would be cool... At least Bayless will be able to fit on this team... But I'd rather see him try to become a true pg though... Rather than a shoot first pg...

jnb58
07-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Yeah? That would be cool... At least Bayless will be able to fit on this team... But I'd rather see him try to become a true pg though... Rather than a shoot first pg...

Sorry, my point was that I think we already have enough combo guards and we really could use a true PG like you were saying.

ragee
07-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Sorry, my point was that I think we already have enough combo guards and we really could use a true PG like you were saying.

Yeah, I know... But we already have Bayless... He is an ok player... Might as well deal with it... So we have Roy who is a sg who is a good passer... And if what you are saying about Rudy is true, both Roy and Rudy can help compensate for the passing skills that Bayless lacks... Not the typical lineup but I think it has a chance to work...

Tblaze
07-10-2008, 12:16 PM
I only just thought of this:

Andre Igouadala hasn't signed an extension yet and his negotiations have had a dead end before, that meens that if he doesn't sign an extension he'll be an Unrestricted Free Agent in 2009 :O

Wouldn't that be an awesome addition? He'd sure strenghten us at SF..

ragee
07-10-2008, 12:42 PM

Andre Igouadala hasn't signed an extension yet and his negotiations have had a dead end before, that meens that if he doesn't sign an extension he'll be an Unrestricted Free Agent in 2009 :O

Man, that would be so awesome! I would rather have that happen to D-Will but I like Igoudala too! He'll be great for this team... He can score and can defend...

ragee
07-10-2008, 12:49 PM
The Blazers are already going to win the next 5 champonships starting around 2010, do you really need to win 5 more? haha

uh... Yes! Unless Dirk can get one before he retires, The Blazers or the Magic should get all of them! Hahahaha... Don't let the Lakers win even just a single championship! Anti-Kobe 4-life

Baller1
07-10-2008, 01:06 PM
uh... Yes! Unless Dirk can get one before he retires, The Blazers or the Magic should get all of them! Hahahaha... Don't let the Lakers win even just a single championship! Anti-Kobe 4-life

Fine with me. haha I'd like for Rashard Lewis to win a ring anyway, so I wouldn't mind the Magic getting one.

Baller1
07-10-2008, 01:07 PM

AI's more of SG though...

Hustla23
07-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Iguodala's not going anywhere . Philadelphia's not going to let him go unless it's a sign and trade for maybe Aldridge or Roy. In that case, you wouldn't want him.

You guys should go after Ron Artest. He'd be your starting legit small forward who can play effectively on both sides of the ball. If you had Artest, in a couple of years you could easily take out the division and conference.

Tblaze
07-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Talent-wise he'd be a great fit I'm sure, but wouldn't he be for like 90% of all nba teams? And blazers management have taken character into account alot lately...

Raetz52
07-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Artest would be great. And hes only 28 so its not like he's old...

Jeff Boyd
07-10-2008, 11:31 PM
I will tell you two players you need to trade. Frye and Sergio no way you guys sign them. You guys could get Iggy from us, but it will cost you guys but you might have enought to make it work.

fabian11593
07-12-2008, 01:05 AM
Danny Granger wouuld be incredible. If Jamario Moon can improve his shot, he could be a nice fit in Portland.