PDA

View Full Version : Will the Blazers have space to bid for the free agents in 2010?

ragee
07-06-2008, 04:47 AM
After giving extensions to Roy and Aldridge, will the Balzers still have space to try to get big time players in the 2010 free agency?

jnb58
07-06-2008, 06:00 AM
I doubt they will have much. I hope Paul Allen is willing to pay a major luxury tax. I just wish there wasn't such a harsh punishment for drafting well.

blackjack_119
07-06-2008, 06:34 AM
Unless Brandon Roy AND LaMarcus Aldridge were willing to accept the Qualifying Offer (would never happen, nor would the team ask them to) then there is no foreseeable way that the Blazers will be under the cap in 2010 since LaMarcus Aldridge, Brandon Roy and Travis Outlaw will all be free agents and it will be the first summer than the Blazers can sign Greg Oden to a long term contract. We only get 2009 to try to add to the team before 2010 comes around... then we sign all of our players long term.

ragee
07-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Unless Brandon Roy AND LaMarcus Aldridge were willing to accept the Qualifying Offer (would never happen, nor would the team ask them to) then there is no foreseeable way that the Blazers will be under the cap in 2010 since LaMarcus Aldridge, Brandon Roy and Travis Outlaw will all be free agents and it will be the first summer than the Blazers can sign Greg Oden to a long term contract. We only get 2009 to try to add to the team before 2010 comes around... then we sign all of our players long term.

Wait,I don't get the qualifying offer... What is that? Is that the extension for rookies? LOL....

A.Mopp
07-06-2008, 02:30 PM
The team offers a qualifying offer to a player, this makes them a restricted FA. Teams then try to work out a long term deal before the qualifying offer has to accepted. if the sides cannot reach an agreement on an extension the qualifying offer will be accepted and the player is on a one year deal and becomes a UFA next offseason. Pietrus did it last season, now he is an UFA.

blackjack_119
07-06-2008, 03:10 PM
In the case of Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge, we would be asking them to accept 1yr contracts of $5.2M and $7.6M respectively, when they should be making near a max contract.

A.Mopp
07-06-2008, 04:28 PM
We won\'t have any cap space for 2010. Our time to spend will be 2009, next offseason.

ragee
07-06-2008, 10:29 PM
In the case of Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge, we would be asking them to accept 1yr contracts of $5.2M and $7.6M respectively, when they should be making near a max contract.

Why don't they give them long contracts instead? So Aldridge and Roy will be Unrestricted free agents?! So them gunning for D-Will, CP3 and Dwight in 2011 is is completely obsurd?

blackjack_119
07-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Why don't they give them long contracts instead? So Aldridge and Roy will be Unrestricted free agents?! So them gunning for D-Will, CP3 and Dwight in 2011 is is completely obsurd?

That quote was clarifying my original post which stated that the Blazers would never ask those two to accept their qualifying offer. Aldridge and Roy will both get long term contracts next off season (after the team is done acquiring other free agents.)

As to the question of being under the cap in 2011 and going after the top free agents that year... I would be surprised if our team salary was under $100M in 2011... there is no way they will be under the salary cap.

ragee
07-07-2008, 12:18 AM
That quote was clarifying my original post which stated that the Blazers would never ask those two to accept their qualifying offer. Aldridge and Roy will both get long term contracts next off season (after the team is done acquiring other free agents.)

As to the question of being under the cap in 2011 and going after the top free agents that year... I would be surprised if our team salary was under $100M in 2011... there is no way they will be under the salary cap.

Ok... Fine... I will finally give up the dream of D-Will going to Portland.... LOL///

blackjack_119
07-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Ok... Fine... I will finally give up the dream of D-Will going to Portland.... LOL///

If only we didn't trade down in the 2006 draft to get Martell Webster... we could have had our choice of Chris Paul or Deron WIlliams. But we had Sebastian Telfair... PG of the future. :pity:

Chicagofaithful
07-07-2008, 12:54 AM
LOL this is hilarious.. you are numb to how blessed you are. You get this great young team thats sure to be a contender for years and you want more talent. LOL it's just funny...

blackjack_119
07-07-2008, 01:14 AM
LOL this is hilarious.. you are numb to how blessed you are. You get this great young team thats sure to be a contender for years and you want more talent. LOL it's just funny...

Oh I am well aware of how talented this team is. THat being said, you wouldn't take Chris Paul or Deron Williams?

Raetz52
07-07-2008, 01:16 AM
Yeah, I mean this team isnt perfect. We can always get better and with one of those two PG's I can only imagine how good we would be!

ragee
07-10-2008, 10:38 PM

That is how you reach greatness... You don't stop just because you are already good... You still have to explore options to improve... :D

Jeff Boyd
07-10-2008, 11:29 PM
I cant wait in two years when your beloved players will start getting picked away player by player in FA. HAAAAAAAAA.

ragee
07-11-2008, 12:53 AM
I cant wait in two years when your beloved players will start getting picked away player by player in FA. HAAAAAAAAA.

You can pick some of them... But not the main guys... And we will definitely pick right back... hehehehe... We have a lot of room next year when francis and raef's' contracts expires... So you will have a hard time picking... You can get Webster and Frye but only if we wanted to... Maybe if D-Will or Igoudala does not sign and become unrestricted free agents... We have the money, youth and the potential for greatness that can attract a lot of good palyers...

Blazin_101
07-11-2008, 09:44 AM

LOL...oh you mean cuz our owner is broke and has a history of being chinsey cheap and cant afford to sail waaaayyyy above the cap?

Come on, the guy pays 80 million a year on "up keep" for his private yacht.

IndiansFan337
07-11-2008, 04:40 PM
After giving extensions to Roy and Aldridge, will the Balzers still have space to try to get big time players in the 2010 free agency?

It's doubtful. But this team has a lot of draft picks saved up for in the future, so hopefully those can be used to add talent either via the draft or via trade.