PDA

View Full Version : C.C. coming to Milwaukee? Report: Brewers offer LaPorta for Sabathia

x_notorious
07-04-2008, 02:07 AM
Sources told FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal that the Brewers are offering Matt LaPorta in a proposed deal for C.C. Sabathia. Or at least that's what the Indians are telling other suitors in order to drive up the price. If it's true, then Milwaukee shouldn't need to add much more to the pot. Rosenthal says that shortstop Alcides Escobar could also be involved, but it's hard to imagine that happening unless the Indians sent additional talent Milwaukee's way (Rafael Betancourt? Masa Kobayashi?)

rotoworld

DamnGoat
07-04-2008, 02:11 AM
I can't see the Brewers doing it unless they're certain they can re-sign CC.

Pretty steep price for a half year rental.

OC Knights #11
07-04-2008, 11:35 AM
that's a lot for a half year, what if we did the trade, and didn't make the playoffs? Now, wouldn't that suck.

OnWisconsin2007
07-04-2008, 11:48 AM
LaPorta alone should be enough. If Ben and CC could pull together, the rest of the staff would feed off of that. We'd have an amazing rotation. I hope this goes through.

abraves90
07-04-2008, 02:14 PM
if we don't resign cc that is a terrible trade...unless we win the world series...laporta is going to be a star and everyone knows we won't be keeping prince much longer because of his agent so we need laporta

brewersfan729
07-04-2008, 02:20 PM
if we don't resign cc that is a terrible trade...unless we win the world series...laporta is going to be a star and everyone knows we won't be keeping prince much longer because of his agent so we need laporta

And then we won't be keeping LaPorta very long because he and Prince have the same agent.

Cursed Rangers
07-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Kobayashi just lost the hot-dog eating contest for the 2nd year in a row. What good would he do the Brewers?

jwdaly07
07-04-2008, 03:09 PM
I can't see the Brewers doing it unless they're certain they can re-sign CC.

Pretty steep price for a half year rental.

First of all, we don't know it's a half year rental for sure. With lots of significant contracts coming off the books (Gagne/Mota/Capuano/Sheets and possibly others) our payroll will be down into the 60's. Attanasio is obviously willing to go into the 90-100 million range, which gives us some good space to re-sign either of Sheets or Sabathia. Sabathia is younger, so what makes you think we wouldn't make the offer to him instead of Sheets?

Second we have plenty of big hitters in the minors to replace LaPorta. And as someone else said he has the same agent in Boras as Fielder so using him as a replacement for Fielder should he leave is not exactly an ingenious plan.

BaRRySandAmaN
07-04-2008, 03:12 PM
I think if the CC deal goes down they are going to pay the man. I dont see us giving up LaPorta and not having anything to show for it in the next couple of years.

jwdaly07
07-04-2008, 03:16 PM
I also seriously doubt Melvin would be considering this unless he thought we could make CC a legit offer.

PackCrewBuckBad
07-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Kobayashi just lost the hot-dog eating contest for the 2nd year in a row. What good would he do the Brewers?

2nd year in a row?

Smithy04
07-05-2008, 11:21 PM
This trade or lack there of will most likely happen this weekend or by Monday for sure.

Martz
07-06-2008, 06:16 AM
There will be no chance to match Cleavelands deals of 72 Mil over 4 or 5 years, and we won't sign Bennie either. Both pitchers are renters. Lets hope they can take us far into the playoffs.

Our Farm system is more then fine without LaPorta. Granted he may be an all star, he's less then average defensively. Defense has been a bright spot of this team this year, a crazy turn around from years past. We'll be fine without him.

Brew Crew
07-06-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm reading on JSonline and it seems the decision might be made today, tomorrow, or Monday, before his start on Tuesday. That'd be awesome if we get him for a start before the All-Star Break.

PackCrewBuckBad
07-06-2008, 11:37 AM
If we do, I'm for sure buying a ticket!

Segway2_89
07-06-2008, 12:33 PM
already bought a ticket for tuesday

Brew Crew
07-06-2008, 01:39 PM
According to ESPN the Brewers are re-working their C.C. Sabathia offer. With that in mind, I think it's getting more clear that he will be heading to Milwaukee. There is no doubt we are front runners in that race, I'm just hoping we don't go overboard with the trade.

They also noted that the Brewers are formulating plans B and C meaning we are bound to get a good pitcher before the deadline.

As the Brewers compile that Plan B list of possible targets, it might include the Padres' Randy Wolf, Seattle's Erik Bedard, Oakland's Joe Blanton and Rich Harden, San Francisco's Matt Cain and Toronto's A.J. Burnett.

jwdaly07
07-06-2008, 01:46 PM
According to people on the Brewers blog, ESPN radio is reporting the Indians turned down our offer.

Brew Crew
07-06-2008, 01:51 PM
FYI, nothing new on the C.C. Sabathia front but I get the impression the Brewers are expecting an answer today, one way or the other. If the deal isn't done today, it would be almost impossible to get two starts out of Sabathia before the all-star break, which is what the Brewers have in mind.

Bill Shroeder is now talking about the trade and he also expects the trade decision tonight because the Brewers want Sabathia on Teusday.

BrewPackBuckfan
07-06-2008, 02:05 PM
You think we might be including rickie weeks in on this trade and get josh barfield in return? If were trading Laporta I want Suppan or Bush to go with because suppan is getting older and Bush is always off and on but mostly off. The only way I make this deal is if he(CC) agrees to sign a 4-6 year deal around 70-85 mil. and get s young pitching prospect also or a infielder.

Brew Crew
07-06-2008, 02:09 PM
You think we might be including rickie weeks in on this trade and get josh barfield in return? If were trading Laporta I want Suppan or Bush to go with because suppan is getting older and Bush is always off and on but mostly off. The only way I make this deal is if he(CC) agrees to sign a 4-6 year deal around 70-85 mil. and get s young pitching prospect also or a infielder.

The Brewers aren't going to trade any MLB-ready players like Weeks or Hardy, and Barfield isn't an upgrade either. Suppan would never be traded because 1, you know the Brewers like him, 2, he's got tons of playoff experience and he isn't even that bad of a pitcher, and lastly he's got a big contract.

IndiansFan337
07-06-2008, 02:36 PM
if we don't resign cc that is a terrible trade...unless we win the world series...
That's why it is a gamble....

And then we won't be keeping LaPorta very long because he and Prince have the same agent.
I know, that's why I think the Indians may be a little bit hesitant to acquire LaPorta if the Dodgers or someone else offers a different top prospect.

Brew Crew
07-06-2008, 05:10 PM
4:15PM EST: CastroTurf, an Indians blog at the MLB Blogs Network, takes Rosenthal's rumor one step further, citing a "Major League source," that says a trade with the Brewers and Indians for C.C. Sabathia has been "completed." If correct, the trade is indeed centered around Double-A outfielder Matt LaPorta, though the other two prospects are not yet named.

Closer and closer we get.

jwdaly07
07-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Closer and closer we get.

Isn't that just some fan's blog?

BaRRySandAmaN
07-06-2008, 06:17 PM
The deal is going to have LaPorta in it thats a given, I also say that Taylor Green will be in that deal too. The only one Im not sure of is going to be the 3rd guy....