PDA

View Full Version : You Grade the BLazers Draft

A.Mopp
06-28-2008, 01:19 AM
The Draft is over. How do you think the Blazers did in this years Draft.

In:

Jerryd Bayless (11)
Nicolas Batum (25)
3 future second round picks form Chicago (Asik)
1 future secind round pick form LAC (Taylor)
Ike Diogu (Bayless trade)

Out:
Jarret Jack (traded for Bayless)
Brandon Rush (13)
Joey Dorsey (33)
Dorrel Aurthur (27)
Mike Taylor (55)
Omer Asik (36)

Thoughts? You can add +/- in your post if you want to.

A.Mopp
06-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Why no responses yet? I see votes:)

A.Mopp
06-28-2008, 09:23 PM
I will give the blazers a solid A. We all know that Bayless was the steal of the draft and is going to do great in Portland. He is the perfect fit next to Roy as a combo guard. I have been saying it all offseason, a combo guard will work best with Roy.

I also think that Batum is a very solid pickup. He is going to be a good SF in the league. He reminds me a lot of Rudy Gay. And I think he will get to a high level like that. He way out preformed Donte Greene when we worked them out. A good move.

I was a little disappointed we traded Asik but we got 3 future second rounders. That will help a lot for future trades. I also think it was good trading Jack for Diogu. Diogu is very underrated and will be a solid backup on the front court. Also if he does not work out he is a FA next season and that is even more cap room for next offseason.

A

_Sn1P3r_
06-28-2008, 10:30 PM
An A-.

SiteWolf
06-29-2008, 12:12 AM
the ONLY reason I don't give their draft an A is......I think Arthur and Dorsey was a little too steep a price to pay for Batum

znick21
06-29-2008, 02:35 AM
sitewolf i disagree not because i don't think arthur and dorsey aren't talented but because we now have a huge logjam at power forward while our small forward position is still a little up in the air. batum will be able to contribute more soley on the fact that he will have a chance to get more minutes and i think he has the potential to be a star.

and i personally wanted us to take deandre jordan at either 27 or 33. he's a huge project who needs to be more assertive and he kinda reminds me of andrew bynum, but dear lord can you imagine having to deal with oden for an entire quarter only to have this guy come in for him? that'd be rough.

blackjack_119
06-29-2008, 02:45 AM
This draft was another "A+" for me... and might be KP's most impressive draft yet. He showed this year that he knows the draft better than anyone. He targeted two players and got both of them. He had to move up to get both of them and he got both at the last pick before they would have been taken... and he gave up very little to get either of them. After the Indiana trade, KP knew than one of Augustin or Bayless would fall to SAC. As a result, KP agreed to a trade that would allow us to acquire the pick before Sacramento if either Bayless or Augustin were there knowing one would be there) Not only did he do this, but through his smoke-screens, he was able to choose which one he wanted there. With all of the talk about DJ Augustin coming into the draft, Charlotte actually believed that he was the player we were higher on. They draft Augustin hoping to trade with us (maybe even thinking there was an offer on the table) and we then use our previously agreed to trade to acquire the player that was #4 on our draft board.

Everyone hates the Batum trade. KP did the exact same thing with Batum. San Antonio was dead-set on Batum. So KP agrees to trade #27 and #33 for #25 (one slot in front of San Antonio) We got the guy we wanted and it only cost us the #33 pick. People like Arthur and Dorsey (I do too) but how much playing time would they get if our Depth at PF would be: Aldridge, Frye, Diogu, Arthur, Dorsey. As someone else said, "They would be getting Josh McRoberts-type minutes.

After the trade, our roster is very balanced: 3PG, 2SG, 3SF, 3PF, 3C. If we don't do the Batum trade, our roster would be: 3PG, 2SG, 2SF, 5PF, 3C. No flexibility on the roster and little depth at the wing positions.

Pritchard targeted two players. Neither would be available at the pick he wanted to use on them. To acquire both of them, he only had to give up (in addition to the picks he wanted to use on them) Jack, McRoberts and the #33 pick. That is an excellent draft. How many fans were considering giving up Webster or Frye to get a PG? KP got him for Jack and McRoberts (and he also got Ike Diogu). I for one was considering taking Nicolas Batum at #14 a month ago... KP got him for the #27 and #33. Overall an excellent draft.

A.Mopp
06-29-2008, 03:25 AM
Great points Blackjack. Batum was protected top 10 for more then a month. And to get him at 27 i think was a steal. He will be good, we just need to give him a few years.

kylem4711
06-29-2008, 04:11 AM
honestly, you guys need to stop having the best drafts..... good job

Blazin_101
07-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Another good draft for us. Not spectacular like the Roy/Aldridge draft but good none the less. I honostly thought for sure they were going to trade out of the draft, heck even the courside guys thought we were going to until about pick 10 happened. Bayless will be a good addition and most likely Batum will be too a few years down the road.

Oh and dont forget we got rid of McRoberts as well in that deal to Indy. Which I think is a good deal since we were a bit stacked in the 4/5 position.