PDA

View Full Version : Possible VP's for both sides

nate_1346
05-21-2008, 10:25 PM
(sorry to edit your post, nate, I just wanted this info at the top of this thread)
-------------------------------

Here is CNN's "Pros and Cons" guide to the possible vice presidential choices:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/26/veepstakes/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original post:
==========

Pretty simple, list who you want to be your canidate's VP/who you think will be your canidates VP. What would that Vice President bring to the table?

FearAD
05-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Obama

My short list:

1. Colin Powell (I know but it's my list)
2. Al Gore
3. Hillary
4. Bill Richardson (sans beard)

BroadwayJoe
05-22-2008, 01:27 PM
obama/nelson is what i think it'll be

Saint Brian
05-22-2008, 01:43 PM
GOP: McCain/Lieberman

Dems: Obama/Webb

That would be a fun race to watch.

SmthBluCitrus
05-22-2008, 02:03 PM
obama/nelson is what i think it'll be

Bill (Fla) or Ben (Neb)?

Obama - ???

1. Jim Webb (Sen - Virginia)
2. Ed Rendell (Gov - Pennsylvania)
3. John Edwards (Fmr Sen - N. Carolina)
4. Joe Biden (Sen - Delaware)

I know, I know ... I've long said that Edwards isn't a nominee. But, I've been talking myself into it lately.

McCain - ???

1. Bobby Jindal (Gov - Louisiana)
2. Charlie Crist (Gov - Florida)
3. Mitt Romney (Gov - Mass)
4. Mike Huckabee (Gov - Arkansas)

I can still see Huckabee as an outside shot for the GOP because I can still see McCain needing Hucks help with the Christian Coalition (although, I think that Jindal may be able to provide that, even though he's Indian-American -- because he's a bit of a "rising star" in the GOP and campaigned as a social conservative).

BroadwayJoe
05-22-2008, 03:00 PM
^ i meant ben (my bad for not specifying). i think getting that midwestern vote is imperative and can really give obama a solid 1-2 punch. i know bill nelson's agenda pretty well having lived in his state for the past decade, but i'd prefer ben over him.

i also like your choices of biden and webb. both would be a-ok in my opinion.

SmthBluCitrus
05-22-2008, 03:25 PM
^ i meant ben (my bad for not specifying). i think getting that midwestern vote is imperative and can really give obama a solid 1-2 punch. i know bill nelson's agenda pretty well having lived in his state for the past decade, but i'd prefer ben over him.

i also like your choices of biden and webb. both would be a-ok in my opinion.

Gotcha.

Yea, I had considered Ben Nelson for my list, too. Not only is he solid for the midwestern vote (especially out of Nebraska -- been a red state for awhile), but he would make the ticket a little more centered. They couldn't very well call out an Obama-Nelson ticket for being "too liberal."

But, the reason I didn't put it on there is that Obama is a really strong candidate by himself in the midwest. If Nelson is out there campaigning for him, along with Gov. Sebelius in Kansas, we may have the opportunity to see a strong showing in some midwestern states without necessarily having a midwestern VP candidate (I think Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconson, and possibly Missouri could all go blue this cycle). Then the ticket could benefit from a strong military presence (Webb or Biden) or a populist white-worker candidate (Edwards) that could pull some votes out of the south.

blenderboy5
05-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Obama:
Ed Rendell
Governor of Ohio, though he's a hillary supporter.

Obama needs at least one of those states, Ed Rendell would be best though imo.

McCain-
An actual conservative.

Preferably Romney.

sboyajian
05-22-2008, 11:36 PM
I don't believe you will see Edwards in any VP role. Not with his wife being sick again. I think he knew he wouldn't get the Presidential bid, but didn't want to simply back out, nor would his wife probably have let him.

No way you see Powell. He's done. I think he was pretty fed up after those first 4 years.

Webb is a good choice for Obama. He is after all a former republican, able to draw a lot of republicans who aren't completely over the fence. Not to mention he also will be strong among one of the demographics Obama is said to be weak with (Gun wielding white males).

Governer Rendell is also a pretty solid choice for Obama. He brings a lot of the vote Hillary could grab and would bring the Hillary (I'm voting republican if she doesn't get it) votes back to the Democratic side.

McCain is almost certain to end up with Romney or Jindal... I think in the end, it will be Romney.

DenButsu
05-23-2008, 12:40 AM
McCain-
An actual conservative.

Preferably Romney.

Is Romney genuinely considered by conservatives to be "an actual conservative"? I was under the impression that he, like McCain, had battled through the primaries to distance himself from previous statements/actions that were uncomfortably moderate/centrist for the real hardline conservatives. That he also had a dubious air about him when it came to questions of whether he was a "true conservative" or not.

I do think McCain's in a tougher spot in choosing his running mate, since it's practically impossible to simultaneously appeal both to the middle and the far right, and really he needs to do both.

Anyhow, I agree with Rendell in principle at least. Obama's choice should most definintely bridge him with a) Clinton supporters and b) "Appalachia". Rendell fits both. Webb does, too. I like either.

I don't like Edwards or Biden as veep choices. Obama needs Biden in the Senate on the front lines of legislative and issue agendas, and Edwards should be in the Cabinet ("Poverty Czar"?)

gcoll
05-23-2008, 01:16 AM
For Obama, I think Richardson would be a smart choice.

For Mccain, not sure. I think he may go with a democrat. Someone said Lieberman earlier in this thread....that would be an interesting choice.

Is Romney genuinely considered by conservatives to be "an actual conservative"?
He is liked by the right, more than Mccain. Though I'm not exactly sure why.

Obama will probably choose Webb though....just because of the fact that I can't stand that guy. He annoys me a lot.

I do think McCain's in a tougher spot in choosing his running mate, since it's practically impossible to simultaneously appeal both to the middle and the far right, and really he needs to do both.
I always thought that maybe dragging out Newt would be an interesting choice.

I really don't know who is in play though. And I really don't know who Mccain would choose. I think Romney would be a foolish choice. He doesn't add a whole lot to the campaign. What's Colin Powell up to these days?

nate_1346
05-23-2008, 02:06 AM
Obama:
Ed Rendell
Governor of Ohio, though he's a hillary supporter.

Obama needs at least one of those states, Ed Rendell would be best though imo.

McCain-
An actual conservative.

Preferably Romney.

I think Obama should target either Ted Strickland (Gov. of Ohio, like you said) or Jim Webb.

McCain needs Romney.

DenButsu
05-23-2008, 03:29 AM
For Mccain, not sure. I think he may go with a democrat. Someone said Lieberman earlier in this thread....that would be an interesting choice.

Hate to break it to ya, gcoll, but Lieberman is a Republican. :cool:

He's roundly (and accurately) called, on liberal blogs, "Holy Joe", "2008's Zell Miller", "warmonger" (the most fitting description), and "traitor" (also fitting). And images like this (http://sporkinthedrawer.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/11_1.jpg), this (http://www.deadissue.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/lieberman-sith.JPG) and this (http://static.crooksandliars.com/2008/03/joefreak.jpg) are commonly seen.

The ONLY reason he hasn't officially changed his party affiliation to Republican yet is that he's power hungry and his status as an independent aligned with the Democrats (which enables them to claim the Senate majority) is the only thing keeping him relevant. Although now that he's attached himself so closely to McCain, he hopes that will be his path to relevance after November. But if McCain loses, and when the Democrats take a solid majority of Senate seats, he will promptly lose any remaining privileges he has with the Democratic Party, be stripped of his chairmanship of the Senate Homeland Security Committee (a job which he is currently failing to do anyhow), and kicked out on the curb and into the dustbin of irrelevance.

gcoll
05-23-2008, 04:59 AM
Hate to break it to ya, gcoll, but Lieberman is a Republican
Of course. Because he doesn't support a withdrawal from Iraq, he will be demonized by liberals.

Kind of like Mccain actually. A lot of people call Mccain a "RINO" and whatnot.

But of course, if Mccain were going to pick a democrat....he would pick one from the center. He's not gonna go grab a wicked liberal one.

But he won't do that anyhow. He needs some conservative street cred, so to speak.

DenButsu
05-23-2008, 05:25 AM
Of course. Because he doesn't support a withdrawal from Iraq, he will be demonized by liberals.

No, it's not just the war. He's said he'd support McCain's Supreme Court appointments, he's joined in the Hamas smears (and other smears) on Obama, he's defended Hagee, agreed to give the keynote speech at the Republican convention if McCain asks him to (even if he's NOT the veep choice), sponsored ammendments which would bring us to war with Iran, officially endorsed McCain and joined his campaign... the list goes on and on...

Yes, the war is the big one, but it's not the only factor that makes Lieberman a Republican. He truly has defected in almost every way imaginable outside of formally changing his party affiliation.

And fwiw, it's not just that he "doesn't support a withdrawal". He's the guy beating the war drums most loudly of ANY senators out there today, Republicans included. It's not as if he's reluctantly resigning himself to an unfortunate inevitability that we need to stay in Iraq, he WANTS more war, badly, including war with Iran, and he's pushing for it with all his might. He is, in the truest sense of the word, a warmonger.

blenderboy5
05-23-2008, 08:07 AM
[QUOTE=DenButsu;5265997]Is Romney genuinely considered by conservatives to be "an actual conservative"? I was under the impression that he, like McCain, had battled through the primaries to distance himself from previous statements/actions that were uncomfortably moderate/centrist for the real hardline conservatives. That he also had a dubious air about him when it came to questions of whether he was a "true conservative" or not.
[QUOTE]

I didn't consider him a "true conservative" exactly. But he wasn't an uber neo-con, he was a governor, and he was more conservative than McCain. More importantly, I believed he could have won.

gcoll
05-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Romney couldn't have won.

He's too pretty.

That's all it has to come down to. He's way too pretty. He's way too rehearsed. he comes off too much like a politician. His hair is too nice, etc. etc.

DenButsu
06-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Edwards just withdrew his name from consideration

PHX-SOXFAN
06-06-2008, 11:47 AM
as the economy officially becomes categorized as a "recesion" over the next few months ( and it will as this continues: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080606/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/economy), it will be even harder for someone pushing conservative economic policies to win in NOvember. Jobless rates, economic growth, etc will be all Obama has to reference.

nate_1346
06-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Edwards just withdrew his name from consideration

:( source?

DenButsu
06-07-2008, 02:15 AM
:( source?

Here are a few. (http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&tab=wn&ncl=1219698378&scoring=d)

lakersrock
06-07-2008, 03:00 AM
Hillary - Helps keep her vote for Obama and she has nice money that would make it to the campaign. It makes too much sense.

Romney - He's the young, charming guy to pair with the old of McCain. I think if he takes Romney he'll win. If he doesn't, I'd put my money on Obama.

DenButsu
06-07-2008, 04:27 AM
Hillary - Helps keep her vote for Obama and she has nice money that would make it to the campaign. It makes too much sense.

How about Ace Frehley? That ought to help him pick up some of those white working class voters he's having a hard time with.

:smoking:

nymetsrule
06-07-2008, 11:44 AM

Romney - He's the young, charming guy to pair with the old of McCain. I think if he takes Romney he'll win. If he doesn't, I'd put my money on Obama.

You don't understand politics all that well, do you...:confused:

They will never run together, ever.

LAKERMANIA
06-07-2008, 12:06 PM
You don't understand politics all that well, do you...:confused:

They will never run together, ever.

yeah i actually think Hillary is hoping McCain would win so she could run against him in 2012

JHG722
06-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Romeny or Jindal. Jindal is Obama without the Hallmark speeches.

JHG722
06-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Romney - He's the young, charming guy to pair with the old of McCain.

61 is young? :confused:

DenButsu
06-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Romeny or Jindal. Jindal is Obama without the Hallmark speeches.

:laugh2:

Yeah, and, uh, with the participation in exorcism.

Uh-huh.

Other than being young and non-white, Jindal couldn't possibly be further from Obama if he tried.

61 is young? :confused:

Botox is a helluva drug. :smoking:

JHG722
06-07-2008, 10:57 PM

Yeah, and, uh, with the participation in exorcism.

Uh-huh.

Other than being young and non-white, Jindal couldn't possibly be further from Obama if he tried.

Botox is a helluva drug. :smoking:

He didn't participate in exorcism--he 'observed' it. Who gives a ****? Who are you to say it didn't happen? I dont know that it's not real, nor do I care. He's a damn good politician, who exhibits the same rockstar qualities as Barack Hussein, albeit without the cutesy speeches.

DenButsu
06-08-2008, 06:10 AM
Who are you to say it didn't happen?

I'm just a guy who has "exorcisms" right there with tooth fairies, Santa Clauses, demons, hobbitses, Easter bunnies, unicorns, angels, centaurs, dragons and Chewbacca on my list of stuff I don't believe in because it's make believe.

Can I say for sure that Yoda doesn't actually exist?

Well, noooooooooo, because I'm not an omnipotent knower of all things (another item on my list, btw).

But I'm pretty confident that someone made him up.

Game_Over
06-08-2008, 06:22 AM
I'm just a guy who has "exorcisms" right there with tooth fairies, Santa Clauses, demons, hobbitses, Easter bunnies, unicorns, angels, centaurs, dragons and Chewbacca on my list of stuff I don't believe in because it's make believe.

Can I say for sure that Yoda doesn't actually exist?

Well, noooooooooo, because I'm not an omnipotent knower of all things (another item on my list, btw).

But I'm pretty confident that someone made him up.

I agree in all of that but I personaly would like to go to a "exorcism" or a haunted house, hell I will go by myself in one just to see if there is anything beyond death.. I mean people are so scared of ghosts but if you really saw one wouldn't it make you feel a little bit better about being dead instead of nothing lol..

DenButsu
06-08-2008, 07:15 AM
I agree in all of that but I personaly would like to go to a "exorcism" or a haunted house, hell I will go by myself in one just to see if there is anything beyond death.. I mean people are so scared of ghosts but if you really saw one wouldn't it make you feel a little bit better about being dead instead of nothing lol..

Absolutely.

I'd love to see someone actually use telekinesis. I'd be thrilled if I actually saw a ghost. And if I saw a genuine biblical-style miracle (I'm talking about God's voice coming out of a burning bush, the Red Sea parting, something that would absolutely unequivicoally defy the laws of physics and that could be objectively measured and experienced - without the aid of hallucinogens, of course), it would necessarily cause me to re-examine everything I believe in. Nothing would be more exciting for me than to experience something truly supernatural.

But it never has happened. And, based on everything objective and empirical I've ever come across, I have absolutely no reason to believe it ever will. So until that happens, I'll remaing staunchly, proudly and happily agnostic/atheist.

sirfreshness
06-10-2008, 02:07 PM
McCain runningmate should be Meg Whitman, fromer Ebay CEO she is already on his campain who is helping him with his policies. She has loads of money for the campaign she is well educated and has successfully run modern day businesses so she would help him on economics. She could bring a lot of Hillary-backers to swing their vote in a state like Pennselvania. Big problem with her is she has never run for anything, so having her as the 2nd in command with such little experience in politics could be a guge gamble. She isnt a top canidate and hasnt been talked about much but she could bring a whole plethora of economic experience to the table for McCain. Not likely to happen but if McCain where to win the White House she will be a big factor in his his policies especially on economics.

JHG722
06-10-2008, 03:30 PM
McCain runningmate should be Meg Whitman, fromer Ebay CEO she is already on his campain who is helping him with his policies. She has loads of money for the campaign she is well educated and has successfully run modern day businesses so she would help him on economics. She could bring a lot of Hillary-backers to swing their vote in a state like Pennselvania. Big problem with her is she has never run for anything, so having her as the 2nd in command with such little experience in politics could be a guge gamble. She isnt a top canidate and hasnt been talked about much but she could bring a whole plethora of economic experience to the table for McCain. Not likely to happen but if McCain where to win the White House she will be a big factor in his his policies especially on economics.

She would be a terrible choice considering the last thing she probably ran for was 12th grade president, and Romney is much better versed in economics. Meg's a great businesswoman, and a really smart person, but this isn't her area at all. Not to mention no one here would suddenly be excited to vote for McCain because his running mate was a successful businessperson.

GA16Angels
06-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Obama:
John Edwards (though he said no)
Bill Richardson
Al Gore (though I think he's better off not in the White House)

McCain:
Mitt Romney (only because everyone else sucks)

JHG722
06-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Obama:
John Edwards (though he said no)
Bill Richardson
Al Gore (though I think he's better off not in the White House)

McCain:
Mitt Romney (only because everyone else sucks)

Jindal does not 'suck'...

Bosox Believer
06-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Here's something a little out of the box...

The VP for a candidate is someone who is traditionally used to be the "attack dog" for the ticket. I've been watching lately and seeing the Dem who has been exercising that role quite a lot as... (gulp) John Kerry!

What he brings: Experience, military service, name recognition.

What he doesn't bring: Any specific states, like Ohio, North Carolina, etc., but his name recognition may turn the tide nationally. A working class feel, he would actually push the elitist hogwash a little.

All in all, I doubt that he would get the VP, nor do I think he really should. I do believe that he is getting out there trying to throw his hat in the ring, though.

DenButsu
06-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Here's something a little out of the box...

The VP for a candidate is someone who is traditionally used to be the "attack dog" for the ticket. I've been watching lately and seeing the Dem who has been exercising that role quite a lot as... (gulp) John Kerry!

What he brings: Experience, military service, name recognition.

What he doesn't bring: Any specific states, like Ohio, North Carolina, etc., but his name recognition may turn the tide nationally. A working class feel, he would actually push the elitist hogwash a little.

All in all, I doubt that he would get the VP, nor do I think he really should. I do believe that he is getting out there trying to throw his hat in the ring, though.

Until I got to the punchline, I thought you were going to say Joe Biden, who has also been making the rounds in the "attack dog" capacity.

I'm kind of leaning towards Rendell at this point. He lacks the military angle, but as a governor he delivers Washington outsider cred, as one of Hillary's leading and most high profile supporters he's a unifying force, he probably helps deliver Pennsylvania to Obama, while it's ludicrous that the McCain camp is even attempting to portray Obama as not being pro-Israel, Rendell being Jewish helps prevent them from creating a phony wedge issude out of that, and choosing him doesn't take Webb, Clinton or Biden out of the Senate. I don't like his support of the death penalty, though.

nate_1346
06-29-2008, 04:53 PM
With the Jindal thread going I thought it would be best to revive this thread.

redsox12
06-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Absolutely.

I'd love to see someone actually use telekinesis. I'd be thrilled if I actually saw a ghost. And if I saw a genuine biblical-style miracle (I'm talking about God's voice coming out of a burning bush, the Red Sea parting, something that would absolutely unequivicoally defy the laws of physics and that could be objectively measured and experienced - without the aid of hallucinogens, of course), it would necessarily cause me to re-examine everything I believe in. Nothing would be more exciting for me than to experience something truly supernatural.

But it never has happened. And, based on everything objective and empirical I've ever come across, I have absolutely no reason to believe it ever will. So until that happens, I'll remaing staunchly, proudly and happily agnostic/atheist.

So you don't believe life is a miracle.

JHG722
06-29-2008, 05:53 PM
:laugh:

ssnsocalfan
06-30-2008, 06:50 PM
obama should grab ron paul, if not settle for hilary.
as for mccain who cares

ChiTownSports
06-30-2008, 07:30 PM
So you don't believe life is a miracle.

wow.....:laugh:

just the kind of pointless comment i'd expect from you

ChiTownSports
06-30-2008, 07:30 PM
obama should grab ron paul, if not settle for hilary.
as for mccain who cares

Why would obama want paul? thats irrational

JHG722
06-30-2008, 07:31 PM
obama should grab ron paul

Yeah, if he wishes to lose...

ari1013
06-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Why would obama want paul? thats irrational
As are all Ron Paul supporters. Heck I bet they wish that both candidates would take Paul as Veep.

ChiTownSports
06-30-2008, 08:55 PM
As are all Ron Paul supporters. Heck I bet they wish that both candidates would take Paul as Veep.

dont generalize!

only 99.99% of Paul supporters are irrational!

ari1013
06-30-2008, 10:42 PM
dont generalize!

only 99.99% of Paul supporters are irrational!
:laugh:

ari1013
07-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Last week I communicated to Senator Obama and his presidential campaign my firm intention to remain in the United States Senate, where I believe I am best equipped to serve the people of Virginia and this country. Under no circumstances will I be a candidate for Vice President.

A year and a half ago, the people of Virginia honored me with election to the U.S. Senate. I entered elective politics because of my commitment to strengthen America's national security posture, to promote economic fairness, and to increase government accountability. I have worked hard to deliver upon that commitment, and I am convinced that my efforts and talents toward those ends are best served in the Senate.

In this regard, the bipartisan legislative template we were able to put into effect through 18 months of work in order to enact the new, landmark GI Bill will serve as a prototype for my future endeavors in government. This process, wherein we brought 58 Senators from both parties to the table as co-sponsors, along with more than 300 members of the House, gives me renewed confidence that the Congress can indeed work effectively across party lines and address the concerns of our citizens.

At this time I am also renewing my commitment to work hard to make sure that Senator Obama wins both Virginia and the presidency this November. He is a man who speaks eloquently about our national goals and calls for the practical solutions that must be put into place to obtain them. I will proudly campaign for him.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I never thought Webb wanted to leave VA. Nor did I think Obama needed a VA guy to win the state. On the other hand, taking Evan Bayh might give him Indiana and would serve a similar problem with the need for experience on his ticket. I'm not that big a fan of Bayh, but he's still the most likely Veep in my mind.

sboyajian
07-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Well he would be a wonderful running mate.. however I can certainly respect his decision and reasons.

Raider_Vet
07-08-2008, 04:50 PM
What is there to watch? It's going to be Hillary. We all know this. If you argure otherwise remember this post when it happens.

moonman
07-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Webb was my first pick. Not a fan of Bayh and he couldn't deliver Indiana for Hillary. Hillary? she wants it and would take it if offered but she comes with an 800# gorilla around her neck. Rendel, like Webb has said he's not interested.

Who's left? Sam Nunn would provide geographical and political balance. Feingold would fire up the liberal base of the party. Gov. Sebelius offers geographical balance and is a woman, if I spelled her name correctly.

I have no idea who Obama will select as VP. He really hasn't given much of a clue to his thinking but has been complimentary to every name in the VP hat.

nate_1346
07-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Biden is my #1 choice. (I supported him until he decided to call it quits.)

gcoll
07-09-2008, 12:30 AM
Not to mention, Jim Webb is kind of a doofus.

Biden is my #1 choice
Good thing you're not Obama...because Biden would say something stupid, and cost Obama a lot of votes.

As far as I'm concerned, it's Hillary. There's no way it isn't Hillary. Obama has trouble with the blue collar white vote, and Hillary can help with that.

blenderboy5
07-09-2008, 12:59 AM
yeah Biden would be a terribl choice. So would Feingold. I understand the confusion, but Obama's running as a democrat not communist.

It's a shame (for Obama) that Rendell ruled it out. He'd bring invaluable experience and knowledge Obama lacks due to overall inexperience

PHX-SOXFAN
07-09-2008, 11:25 AM

Good thing you're not Obama...because Biden would say something stupid, and cost Obama a lot of votes.

As far as I'm concerned, it's Hillary. There's no way it isn't Hillary. Obama has trouble with the blue collar white vote, and Hillary can help with that.

how is Jim Webb a doofus?

ari1013
07-09-2008, 11:29 AM

No he really doesn't. He has a problem with racist Appalachian whites. Blue collar whites dominate states like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Washington, and Oregon -- which are all "purple" states that he's dominating.

PHX-SOXFAN
07-09-2008, 11:54 AM
No he really doesn't. He has a problem with racist Appalachian whites. Blue collar whites dominate states like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Washington, and Oregon -- which are all "purple" states that he's dominating.

excellent summary.:clap::clap: this will fall on deaf ears though.

maddog1941
07-09-2008, 02:35 PM
As far as I'm concerned, it's Hillary. There's no way it isn't Hillary. Obama has trouble with the blue collar white vote, and Hillary can help with that.[/QUOTE]

I'm ruling out Hilary. The principles of the Obama campaign are unity, that means with the right and the GOP, so she would definetly give fuel to the fire of the right and I don't feel there is any way his campaign will go that route. I see Obama picking the govenor of a traditionally Red state as his running mate. I belive the Gov of MT, Schwietizer, is his name, will emerge as the VP choice for Obama, but even that brings up experience issues. I wish it would be Biden, but i feel the campaign feels much the same as the others who already posted here would. If somehow the Obama Campaign could get Bloomberg, it would be a slam dunk (i just don't see that happening)

gcoll
07-09-2008, 06:57 PM
The principles of the Obama campaign are unity, that means with the right and the GOP
Obama's principles aren't unity. That's a talking point of his. But he's a pretty far left guy, with pretty one sided views. He's not exactly a centrist.

DenButsu
07-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Obama's principles aren't unity. That's a talking point of his. But he's a pretty far left guy, with pretty one sided views. He's not exactly a centrist.

If you're watching closely, you'll see that a lot of his recent actions are in fact angering the left, namely his support of the FISA bill and his recent statements on abortion. The degree of religiosity in his rhetoric also exceeds what I'd say a lot of liberals would normally be comfortable with; there's a lot of "god talk" in there.

Some magazine created a bogus rating system that named him the most liberal voting Senator blah blah blah and of course all the networks and papers just ran with it. But if you actually dig deeper than the hype you'll find that there are some significant ways where he deviates from a strict adherence to the most central and most popular Democratic positions.

Not the least of which is his "much-closer-to-it-but-not-quite-universal" health care plan - which was, for me, the only real outstanding issue that I preferred Hillary's stance on.

blenderboy5
07-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Because like most sane people, it's hard for a presidential candidate to be gung ho abortion

DenButsu
07-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Because like most sane people, it's hard for a presidential candidate to be gung ho abortion

But for Obama in particular, it's risky. There are a lot of Hillary supporters who he hasn't won over, and some who he has, well he's on pretty thin ice with them. Anything less than a full-on pro choice stance really runs the risk of alienating them.

gcoll
07-10-2008, 12:38 AM
If you're watching closely, you'll see that a lot of his recent actions are in fact angering the left, namely his support of the FISA bill and his recent statements on abortion. The degree of religiosity in his rhetoric also exceeds what I'd say a lot of liberals would normally be comfortable with; there's a lot of "god talk" in there.
You don't have to be watching all that closely to notice that, or assume it was inevitable. Candidates make a dash for the center, once the nomination is locked up.

But if you actually dig deeper than the hype you'll find that there are some significant ways where he deviates from a strict adherence to the most central and most popular Democratic positions.
Yeah. A few. But for the most part, he's pretty left leaning on most issues. He was certainly further left than Hillary.

Not the least of which is his "much-closer-to-it-but-not-quite-universal" health care plan - which was, for me, the only real outstanding issue that I preferred Hillary's stance on.
Yes, the "doesn't require everyone to be on it" thing. Why would you want to force people to use government health care, who don't want it?

If given an option, I would opt out.

ari1013
07-10-2008, 01:19 AM
You don't have to be watching all that closely to notice that, or assume it was inevitable. Candidates make a dash for the center, once the nomination is locked up.

Yeah. A few. But for the most part, he's pretty left leaning on most issues. He was certainly further left than Hillary.

Yes, the "doesn't require everyone to be on it" thing. Why would you want to force people to use government health care, who don't want it?

If given an option, I would opt out.
It depends on the issues. He's more anti-war than Hillary. But he's a lot more moderate with regards to health care policy; economic and tax policy; and most importantly he's also got a very strong push for individuality and self-improvement -- which are definitely traditional Republican things.

He is who he is. The National Journal tried to paint him as an extreme liberal, but that label's not really sticking because it's just not true. More Americans view him as a moderate than view McCain as a moderate.

Generally speaking, candidates typically shift to the center after the primaries end. However in this case, both candidates are leaning to the right of where they probably really stand. For Obama, that puts him square in the center. For McCain, that's putting him out on the right. Obama's looking to win new voters. McCain's looking to lock up his fragile base.

TheLogical
07-11-2008, 04:59 PM
YES SHE CAN

HILLARY VP 08!

:clap:

gcoll
07-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Generally speaking, candidates typically shift to the center after the primaries end. However in this case, both candidates are leaning to the right of where they probably really stand. For Obama, that puts him square in the center. For McCain, that's putting him out on the right. Obama's looking to win new voters. McCain's looking to lock up his fragile base.
That seems pretty accurate.

Although I wouldn't call where Obama currently is as "square in the center"

ari1013
07-12-2008, 10:00 AM
That seems pretty accurate.

Although I wouldn't call where Obama currently is as "square in the center"
He voted for the bipartisan FISA bill. He voted for the bipartisan medicare bill. He's not really pushing for anything on the left. He's even loosened his stance on Iraq -- saying that his trip to there should help him see the "facts on the ground" (Republican code) so he can make a better assessment as to when a troop withdrawal should begin. And then of course there's his courting of the evangelists.

At this point he's looking a lot more like Arlen Spector than like Russ Feingold.

FearAD
07-13-2008, 05:18 PM
You guys are over looking a very sound choice. A guy that will give him some creditibility with the toothless Appalachian vote and help bridge experience gap. Senator Sam Nunn of Georgia. Argueably the strongest Democrat in foreign relations, super intelligent and well respected in Washington.

FearAD
07-13-2008, 05:22 PM
He voted for the bipartisan FISA bill. He voted for the bipartisan medicare bill. He's not really pushing for anything on the left. He's even loosened his stance on Iraq -- saying that his trip to there should help him see the "facts on the ground" (Republican code) so he can make a better assessment as to when a troop withdrawal should begin. And then of course there's his courting of the evangelists.

At this point he's looking a lot more like Arlen Spector than like Russ Feingold.

Ari, very good post. I agree Obama is closer to center than far left. He comes off as a pull yourself up by the boot straps kind of guy. His platform seems to emphasize overcoming poverty not simply waddling in it.

ari1013
07-13-2008, 11:21 PM
You guys are over looking a very sound choice. A guy that will give him some creditibility with the toothless Appalachian vote and help bridge experience gap. Senator Sam Nunn of Georgia. Argueably the strongest Democrat in foreign relations, super intelligent and well respected in Washington.
and he's against abortion choice... that's not exactly what Obama needs if he's still trying to shore up the PUMAs.

if he's going for the center by taking a pro-lifer, Hagel's a much better choice.

moonman
07-14-2008, 12:01 AM

This guy mentioned Sam Nunn in post #4 on this thread. So you must have meant, "you other guys."

Obama is neither right or left, he's a politician. He came out of nowhere and captured the "anybody but another Clinton" majority in the Democrat Party. He owes nobody and would be the first such President since Teddy Roosevelt.

McCain is a DOD tool. His relationship to people like Gramm, Black and now Rove indicate that he his willing to whore for the financial, insurance, real estate and big pharma as well. McCain will pick someone safe and acceptable to corporate America so as to assuage any fears that he really is a maverick.

Obama on the other hand is someone we learn about as we go. His campaign is very much flying by the seat of its pants. I read a report the other day that Hillary hasn't even been vetted by the Obama camp. It won't be Clinton. Nunn would be a safe pick, but I think Barrack will choose a woman.

blenderboy5
07-14-2008, 12:26 AM
Obama's the most magical person that's ever lived. He makes me feel faint and my leg shape. I have a feeling he's a non-denominational prophet reincarnated and I know, just know that he'll do everything right because he's so magical! I plan on starting a "Send your first born to Barack" club because he's such a rock star and I LOVE HIM!!!

Fixed :p ;):D

Doc Fluty
07-15-2008, 02:05 PM
^^^^hahaaha

SmthBluCitrus
07-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Obama on the other hand is someone we learn about as we go. His campaign is very much flying by the seat of its pants. I read a report the other day that Hillary hasn't even been vetted by the Obama camp. It won't be Clinton. Nunn would be a safe pick, but I think Barrack will choose a woman.

Not a chance. If a woman is picked to be his running mate, it will be Hillary. Choosing a woman to be the VP candidate, and having it not be Hillary would be tantamount to saying that she wasn't good enough to be President.

Choosing another woman would be a huge slap in the face to all Hillary supporters (who continue to be Hillary supporters) and are unsure as to whether or not they're going to actually support Obama.

I'm not saying that the VP necessarily has to be Mrs. Clinton, but trust me when I say that he cannot go out and choose a woman that isn't her to be his running mate.

I talked to enough Hillary supporters here in Iowa over the past month and a half to fully comprehend this issue. And, remember, Obama won Iowa back in January -- imagine in generally blue states where he got trounced if he riles a Democratic base. He's already skating on thin ice with Hillary people.

blenderboy5
07-15-2008, 02:19 PM
I didn't even think about that

DenButsu
07-22-2008, 08:54 AM
I may merge this into the main McCain veep talk thread later, especially if it doesn't pan out, but for now I thought this was definitely significant enough news to merit its own thread.

cnn (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/07/21/mccain-camp-talk-of-a-vp-announcement-this-week/):

McCain camp: Talk of a VP announcement this week

(CNN) – Sources in John McCain's campaign confirm to Dana Bash and Gloria Borger that there have been recent discussions high in the campaign about the possibility of naming a running mate this week.

One source tells CNN that “no decision has been made” by the candidate. Another says that some within the campaign are arguing to hold off until Obama has named his decision “so there is an opportunity to counter-program.” In any case, a campaign source adds, this does mean that the choice has been “narrowed” in McCain’s mind to the point where he could, if he were so inclined, spring a decision this week.

Campaign spokesperson Jill Hazelbaker said Monday “there will be no announcement this afternoon.”

The prospect of a McCain vice presidential announcement this week, first reported by Bob Novak on the Human Events Web site, would obviously change the subject from Barack Obama’s trip to the Middle East and Europe.

In fact, even some of McCain’s own advisers admit that just leaking the possibility of a VP selection could take some of the attention away from Obama — which could, in fact, be what the campaign is trying to do.

A senior adviser said the report is a “head fake” meant to help distract attention from Barack Obama’s headline-grabbing overseas trip.

If this is for real, and they're intentionally choosing this time for their VP announcement because of Obama's Middle East trip, it seems to me that it tips their hand about how confident they are regarding where they're at in this campaign right now. I hope it's true mainly so we can just find out who McCain picks.

blenderboy5
07-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Yeah, that's why he's doing it. It's a smart strategy, really. Takes the spotlight off Obama for a second.

ari1013
07-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Anything to try to get some attention these days:

First they accused the Germans of mistranslating Maliki.

Then they started talking about how Obama's jumping the gun by acting like a president before he got elected (nevermind that McCain was the one that pushed Obama to go).

Then they're talking about how Obama's going to Afghanistan prematurely because he only attended one subcommittee hearing on Afghanistan (nevermind the fact that his one hearing is one more than McCain has attended).

Finally, there's that energy policy ad McCain put out that blatently is blaming Obama and the Senate for our lack of energy policy (guess old age is keeping McCain from remembering that he took part in that vote as well).

It's been a busy week for the McCain camp.

ari1013
07-22-2008, 10:58 AM
I may merge this into the main McCain veep talk thread later, especially if it doesn't pan out, but for now I thought this was definitely significant enough news to merit its own thread.

cnn (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/07/21/mccain-camp-talk-of-a-vp-announcement-this-week/):

If this is for real, and they're intentionally choosing this time for their VP announcement because of Obama's Middle East trip, it seems to me that it tips their hand about how confident they are regarding where they're at in this campaign right now. I hope it's true mainly so we can just find out who McCain picks.
This isn't true by the way -- it's a Bob Novak rumor.

DenButsu
07-22-2008, 06:43 PM

Okay, thanks for the clarification. It was the big headline on CNN at the time I checked their politics page, which is why I posted it.

DenButsu
07-22-2008, 06:51 PM

Okay, thanks for the clarification. It was the big headline on CNN at the time I checked their politics page, which is why I posted it.

nascar10294
07-22-2008, 07:59 PM
i think if McCain choose Romney it could help him dramaticly and maybe even help him steal Connecticut (I ROOTING FOR IT).

RedSoxRok34
07-22-2008, 08:18 PM
if McCain wants to have any chance at all, he needs to pick either Romney or Huckabee. Romney brings the business credentials, Huckabee the conservative vote and the Bible belt.

that said, my prediction is he takes some political lackey that does nothing for his cause.

Telios9
07-22-2008, 09:00 PM
yeah Huckabee is the man and it would help McCain win the religious poplutaion

yaowowrocket11
07-22-2008, 09:42 PM
i think if McCain choose Romney it could help him dramaticly and maybe even help him steal Connecticut (I ROOTING FOR IT).

How dare you attempt to make Connecticut a Red state!!!!!!!

:mad:

As long as I am a nutmegger (name for CT citizens for those who are confused), CT will be a blue state!

:D

RedSoxRok34
07-22-2008, 09:48 PM
How dare you attempt to make Connecticut a Red state!!!!!!!

:mad:

As long as I am a nutmegger (name for CT citizens for those who are confused), CT will be a blue state!

:D

if i remember right, weren't you the one that's lobbied for socialism numerous times? check out russia, the color of socialism is red.

there shouldn't BE any "red" or "blue" states, there should just be the United States. too bad that's not true anymore

yaowowrocket11
07-22-2008, 10:22 PM
if i remember right, weren't you the one that's lobbied for socialism numerous times? check out russia, the color of socialism is red.

there shouldn't BE any "red" or "blue" states, there should just be the United States. too bad that's not true anymore

I don't recall ever siding on a socialistic topic before...............:shrug:

Maybe you are referring to me siding with Huckabee on an issue before, although I don't remember what exactly it was.

Anyways, I understand there shouldn't be red or blue states, but there is, and there is nothing I can do about it, besides support my "color".

ari1013
07-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Yeah everyone jumped all over it. Novak put out something saying how good it would be if McCain announced this week and then the McCain camp put out a little statement that they "might announce." The meed-yah was waiting for something, anything out of the McCain side to talk about and now they're running with this.

ari1013
07-22-2008, 11:20 PM
CT? Hahahaha! Good luck on that. I hope McCain spends some money campaigning there.

ari1013
07-22-2008, 11:22 PM

Take it up with the GOP's Southern strategy back in 1968 which is where wedge issues really gained prominence.

blenderboy5
07-23-2008, 12:03 AM
I hope it's not Huckabee.:(

gcoll
07-23-2008, 02:28 AM
The only name that would make any difference would be Colin Powell. And his name isn't even in rumors or anything.

So the Mccain announcement of VP will make a very minor splash. And take about a day of coverage.

DenButsu
07-23-2008, 04:38 AM
The only name that would make any difference would be Colin Powell. And his name isn't even in rumors or anything.

Actually, it was in the news recently, not in VP rumors, but in what could be a significant way nonetheless:

A Cast of 300 Advises Obama on Foreign Policy

Every day around 8 a.m., foreign policy aides at Senator Barack Obama’s Chicago campaign headquarters send him two e-mails: a briefing on major world developments over the previous 24 hours and a set of questions, accompanied by suggested answers, that the candidate is likely to be asked about international relations during the day....

Behind the e-mail messages is a tight-knit group of aides supported by a huge 300-person foreign policy campaign bureaucracy, organized like a mini State Department....

Another person who has contributed outside advice is former Secretary of State Colin L. Powell, whom Mr. Obama has been wooing. Mr. Powell, a Republican, has a friendship of decades with Mr. McCain, but friends say he has felt excluded from Mr. McCain’s foreign policy operation and was impressed when Mr. Obama called on him in June. Mr. Powell also met around the same time with Mr. McCain.nytimes (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/18/us/politics/18advisers.html?_r=1&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin)

Raidaz4Life
07-23-2008, 11:45 AM

I know is it bad that I hope McCain picks Romney as his running mate and has a heart attack immediately after being sworn into office?:D

blenderboy5
07-23-2008, 07:23 PM
I know is it bad that I hope McCain picks Romney as his running mate and has a heart attack immediately after being sworn into office?:D

haha same.

ari1013
07-23-2008, 07:45 PM
So Bob Novak just ran a guy over in DC today. Wonder what lie he'll come up with to explain that one...

DenButsu
07-23-2008, 08:39 PM
So Bob Novak just ran a guy over in DC today. Wonder what lie he'll come up with to explain that one...

Ouch.

Figuratively and literally.

DenButsu
08-04-2008, 02:52 AM
Here is CNN's "Pros and Cons" guide to the possible vice presidential choices:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/26/veepstakes/

I also put it in the top post for easy reference.

Stuck because it's crunch time.

DenButsu
08-04-2008, 02:55 AM
Virginia congressman vetted for McCain running mate

A top congressman from Virginia is undergoing "thorough vetting" by John McCain's vice presidential team, an informed GOP source told CNN on Saturday.

U.S. Rep. Eric Cantor is a fourth-term lawmaker from a heavily Republican district in the Richmond area. Some conservatives have been pushing the chief deputy minority whip for McCain's running mate.

The source said that the research on Cantor, 45, and other potential running mates is nearly complete.

"He's bright, clean, conservative but not angry, and Jewish. [He's a] great fundraiser and locks up Virginia for good measure," the source said.

The source said he doubts he'll be the pick, but called him "a comer in the party."

A spokesman for McCain, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, told CNN on Saturday night he had no comment on the report, and would not say if McCain and the congressman had met.

The Associated Press reported that Cantor declined to comment as well.

Cantor may be the only current member of Congress under serious consideration by McCain.

Other Republicans believed to be in contention include former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, former U.S. Rep. Rob Portman of Ohio, and Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty.cnn (http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/02/mccain.lawmaker/index.html)

ari1013
08-04-2008, 08:33 AM
My money's on Portman as the surprise pick.

DenButsu
08-04-2008, 09:00 AM
My money's on Portman as the surprise pick.

What's the number to go by on intrade (http://www.intrade.com/jsp/intrade/contractSearch/)? The "ask"? (Which would mean they have Romney favored for the Rep. VP and Bayh for the Dems - I find that kind of odd... Bayh, not Romney)

ari1013
08-04-2008, 05:50 PM
What's the number to go by on intrade (http://www.intrade.com/jsp/intrade/contractSearch/)? The "ask"? (Which would mean they have Romney favored for the Rep. VP and Bayh for the Dems - I find that kind of odd... Bayh, not Romney)
McCain is not investing at all in Indiana. Meanwhile Obama's got a good ground campaign already set up there. If he takes Bayh, that should deliver the state for him. Tack on Colorado or Virginia and he's got the election.

DenButsu
08-04-2008, 09:34 PM
McCain is not investing at all in Indiana. Meanwhile Obama's got a good ground campaign already set up there. If he takes Bayh, that should deliver the state for him. Tack on Colorado or Virginia and he's got the election.

That makes sense. I'm just surprised that intrade might show Bayh as the frontrunner since a) he's not too high profile and b) the Obama camp (and the McCain camp, for that matter) has done a pretty solid job of keeping the lid on who's rising and falling on their short list.

b1e9a8r5s
08-04-2008, 09:40 PM

A sever brain tumor perhaps? I know you wrote that before that came out but, wow.

b1e9a8r5s
08-04-2008, 09:42 PM

When was the last time a VP selection, on either side, delivered the state for someone? I think the VP selections are interesting, but don't have much bearing on the outcome of the election.

ari1013
08-04-2008, 10:24 PM
When was the last time a VP selection, on either side, delivered the state for someone? I think the VP selections are interesting, but don't have much bearing on the outcome of the election.
When it's that close it really could matter. Everyone in Indy loves Bayh. If Obama can swing a few undecideds his way, then the lead that's currently in the MoE can move outward into a real lead.

ari1013
08-04-2008, 10:25 PM

DenButsu
08-04-2008, 10:32 PM

That's a good question. But in this particular election I do think there are going to be some tightly contested swing states that a veep pick could help deliver. Like I think Rendell could really put Obama over the top in Pennsylvania, for example.

SmthBluCitrus
08-05-2008, 01:37 AM
Heard a rumor from one of my good (reliable) friends higher up in the party that Obama might be naming a VP Wednesday -- a prominent Senator from Indiana.

edit: go to obamabayh08.com, and the link takes you directly to democrats.org, the party website.

Also, according to my friend, Obama has campaign events scheduled for Tuesday in Indiana, but has told the traveliing press corp to make arrangements to stay through Wednesday evening (even though no events are planned on his public calendar).

DenButsu
08-05-2008, 07:09 AM
Heard a rumor from one of my good (reliable) friends higher up in the party that Obama might be naming a VP Wednesday -- a prominent Senator from Indiana.

edit: go to obamabayh08.com, and the link takes you directly to democrats.org, the party website.

Also, according to my friend, Obama has campaign events scheduled for Tuesday in Indiana, but has told the traveliing press corp to make arrangements to stay through Wednesday evening (even though no events are planned on his public calendar).

That's some pretty powerful circumstantial evidence right there.

ari1013
08-05-2008, 09:16 AM
That and supposedly Obama is filming a series of ads to run during the Olympics at that same time.

SmthBluCitrus
08-05-2008, 09:32 AM
That's some pretty powerful circumstantial evidence right there.

Yep; and again, we'll see. But, I trust this person. They aren't one of those types that gets all excited about something if it isn't likely to come to fruition.

Eastside Scott
08-05-2008, 09:42 AM
I am from Indiana, and if ever a VP could deliver a state it is Bayh with Indiana. The state has gone Republican for Pres since the Big Bang practically. The other Senator is a Republican who wins 80/20. Yet Bayh also wins 75/25 or so every year. He is beloved here. In years where he runs and the Pres election is the same year he carries 65-70% while the Republican Pres candidate carries the same. You have a lot of people here that will take their hands off the lever and split their vote when Bayh is involved.

Indiana is not a huge state, but it has enough electoral votes to swing things in a close election. If Indiana had gone Gore in 2000 (God forbid) we would have had 8 years of President Gore (shudder).

Bayh is extremely safe. He has been grooming himself for this his whole life. If there were any skeletons in the closet, they would have been found out by now. He is well spoken (in contrast to our last Indiana VP) and politically centrist. He gives Obama a running mate with executive experience (Governor for 12 years) and a "true" Midwestern draw (Chicago is located in the Midwest but is not exactly car plant/farm country). He will be a good soldier and knows to keep his mouth shut which is a good trait in a VP. He was a Hillary suppporter which throws her people a bone without having to put her meddlesome behind on the ticket.

I probably still won't vote for Obama (he just still scares me a lot), but he will take Indiana for sure and get nice bumps in MI and OH if he picks Bayh.

DenButsu
08-05-2008, 11:28 AM
He is well spoken (in contrast to our last Indiana VP)

:cool:

yaowowrocket11
08-05-2008, 12:34 PM
As an Obama supporter, I have 4 candidates in which I wouldn't mind as Vice President:

- John Edwards (was a huge Edwards supporter until he dropped out)
- Bill Richardson
- Chris Dodd (I'm from CT, and I really like him, and besides, it will take some attention away from the douche I like to call Joe Lieberman)
- Tim Kaine

My personal 4 favorites.

Doc Fluty
08-05-2008, 02:55 PM
im from indiana... and i always like bayh... dont know why... just seemed like a competent guy and not some shady character....

i still wont vote for obama but bayh could get him indy.. although i dont know if obama will pick a vp just to get him a small state like indy...

well see

ari1013
08-05-2008, 05:55 PM
im from indiana... and i always like bayh... dont know why... just seemed like a competent guy and not some shady character....

i still wont vote for obama but bayh could get him indy.. although i dont know if obama will pick a vp just to get him a small state like indy...

well see
Figure on Obama winning the Gore states minus New Mexico at the very minimum. If you then add Indy to that tally, he's got his 270.

yaowowrocket11
08-05-2008, 06:50 PM

If Obama picked a VP, just to win a state, it would be Kaine from Virginia.

SmthBluCitrus
08-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Bayh makes more sense than just "winning a red state." As stated before, he has executive experience and can help deliver a message in the surrounding rust belt states.

But, more than that, he's from the Hillary camp. It's a show going forward. Bayh was likely the Clinton VP choice, but he makes sense for Obama, too. He doesn't overshadow Obama or come with boatloads of "experience" to the point where people think he would be a better President choice than Obama (you could make that case for Biden, Dodd, Clinton, and so on).

Yet, Bayh also comes with a bit of Washington experience ... a lot of it under the radar. However, he's not an unknown quantity.

He also tends to be a bit more "center" opposed to the supposed far-left Obama. He brings somewhat of a centered respectability to the ticket.

ari1013
08-06-2008, 05:27 PM
If Obama picked a VP, just to win a state, it would be Kaine from Virginia.
I like Kaine and all, but he's not that popular in VA. Bayh on the other hand is probably the most popular guy in the state.

yaowowrocket11
08-06-2008, 05:31 PM
I like Kaine and all, but he's not that popular in VA. Bayh on the other hand is probably the most popular guy in the state.

Damn, I could have sworn Kaine was really popular. Who am I thinking of then?

:confused:

BG7
08-06-2008, 06:16 PM

Your probably thinking of Webb and Warner.

I agree on Chris Dodd. He would be my choice for Obama's veep if I got to choose.

Also, does anyone want to buy obamaedwardsticket.com off of me? Go get it cheap, before he names his veep. Will sell for $500 right now.

ari1013
08-06-2008, 10:11 PM

Kaine's big push in the legislature failed and it dropped his approval numbers down.

And BG7, there's no way he takes Edwards. The scandal isn't worth it. Same goes for McCain and Palin. Neither candidate needs the headache now.

BG7
08-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Not that Edwards.

This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXZrsV-hdIg

DenButsu
08-07-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm wondering if the recent joint statement by Hillary and Obama is a precursor to his announcing someone else for his veep. A kind of coded request from her to her troops not to get too unruly when they find out she hasn't been chosen...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/07/clinton/index.html

yaowowrocket11
08-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Your probably thinking of Webb and Warner.

I agree on Chris Dodd. He would be my choice for Obama's veep if I got to choose.

Also, does anyone want to buy obamaedwardsticket.com off of me? Go get it cheap, before he names his veep. Will sell for $500 right now.

Webb! That is who I am thinking of.

And I am also a huge supporter of Chris Dodd. I was involved in some campaign work for him, very small, but I was. He dropped out soon, it was expected, so I changed over to John Edwards. I didn't do any work for him, unfortunately. I think SmithBlueCitrus did, so I am proud someone did on PSD! Now I am voting for Obama. Not as big of a supporter like I was for Dodd or Edwards, but he is still a great choice.

Obama/Dodd 2008!

Imagine if McCain chose Lieberman. My poor CT state would be split in half. Lieberman is one of my most hated politicians.

:pity:

BG7
08-07-2008, 02:03 PM
McCain won't take Liberman for the same reason Obama won't take Hagel, the Republicans won't nominate Lieberman for VP.

Chris Dodd is just a pretty awesome candidate. It would be nice to have him on the fasttrack to be president through the VP slot, but he would be 72 by 2016, so that might now work out. Although the mortgage scandal will probably keep Dodd out from it.

I just can't see Kaine, Bayh, or Biden being the VP pick. I think it is going to be out of Hillary Clinton, Bill Richardson, or Chet Edwards at this point. I don't think the supposed Obama shortlist is an actual shortlist. I think the "shortlist" is just to put some spotlight on Obama in Indiana and Virginia, two swing states that could lead to 270 for Obama...but not that he's actually going to pick one.

ari1013
08-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Webb! That is who I am thinking of.

And I am also a huge supporter of Chris Dodd. I was involved in some campaign work for him, very small, but I was. He dropped out soon, it was expected, so I changed over to John Edwards. I didn't do any work for him, unfortunately. I think SmithBlueCitrus did, so I am proud someone did on PSD! Now I am voting for Obama. Not as big of a supporter like I was for Dodd or Edwards, but he is still a great choice.

Obama/Dodd 2008!

Imagine if McCain chose Lieberman. My poor CT state would be split in half. Lieberman is one of my most hated politicians.

:pity:
Except that when asked the question, "if you could recast your vote in the 2006 Senate race, whom would you vote for now?" Lieberman polls about 17 point below Lamont. Uncle Joe's approval rating has been bouncing between the high 30s and low 40s. He won't deliver the state.

Eastside Scott
08-07-2008, 06:34 PM
A tad off subject, but not really...

What the heck is Obama waiting for? He has to pick first because the D convention is first. Why not do it now as the bump from the Obama world tour dies down and before the bump from the convention kicks in. If he waits until the convention, he is a dipstick. Why waste two big media opportunities at the same time? If he names someone now, that person gets to get out and get to work, doubling the live audiences they can appear in front of. I just don't get it.

McCain absolutely has to wait and do it right after the Obama corronation to try to swipe some thunder. He can also see who it is and possibly react to the choice if need be. He has the luxury of being able to pick second.

Obama has to pick first and is making a mistake in delaying in my opinion.

ari1013
08-07-2008, 06:44 PM
A tad off subject, but not really...

What the heck is Obama waiting for? He has to pick first because the D convention is first. Why not do it now as the bump from the Obama world tour dies down and before the bump from the convention kicks in. If he waits until the convention, he is a dipstick. Why waste two big media opportunities at the same time? If he names someone now, that person gets to get out and get to work, doubling the live audiences they can appear in front of. I just don't get it.

McCain absolutely has to wait and do it right after the Obama corronation to try to swipe some thunder. He can also see who it is and possibly react to the choice if need be. He has the luxury of being able to pick second.

Obama has to pick first and is making a mistake in delaying in my opinion.
Why not? Easy: the Olympics are about to take over the news cycle.

If he announces now, it gets lost in the shuffle.

DenButsu
08-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Also, it could well be that he really hasn't decided yet.

BG7
08-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Bill Clinton is set to speak right before the VP nomination.

It's Hillary.

DenButsu
08-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Bill Clinton is set to speak right before the VP nomination.

It's Hillary.

Except Hillary's not slated to speak on Wednesday, the traditional time slot for the veep speech. She's scheduled on Tuesday.

Like Hillary and Obama's joint statement yesterday, I think it's a unification move that braces the convention against protest from Hillary supporters when the pick is someone else.

BG7
08-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Hillary can speak twice.

ari1013
08-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Hillary can speak twice.
She could... but then why not give the keynote to someone else? She's a good speaker and all, but she's hardly the type of energizer that's going to turn the undecideds towards the Dems.

If she was going to be the Veep, then it would have been better to have someone like Schweitzer give the keynote -- to help Obama out West.

BG7
08-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Hillary's not giving the keynote, at least it hasn't been announced that she is yet.

I don't think Obama has announced his keynote speaker, but I know Chuck Hagel is one of the favorites to give the keynote.

The reason they chose to put Hillary on day two of the convention, is because it's the 88th anniversary of women being granted the right to vote.

Who knows, maybe Obama announces Hillary is the VP on day two, Hillary day.

BG7
08-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Just got an email from David Plouffe. They're about to announce it. Barack apparently wants me to be the first person in the world to know of his decision (just going off of the email : D )

I assume they mean early this week. They must be banking on getting NBC news updates out to a bunch of people while watching the olympics and maybe have a larger ad buy than initially reported to introduce the veep.

BG7
08-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Barack Obama is about to make one of the most important decisions of this campaign -- choosing a running mate.

You have helped build this movement from the bottom up, and Barack wants you to be the first to know his choice.

http://my.barackobama.com/vp_facebook

You will receive an email the moment Barack makes his decision, or you can text VP to 62262 to receive a text message on your mobile phone.

Once you've signed up, please forward this email to your friends, family, and coworkers to let them know about this special opportunity.

No other campaign has done this before. You can be part of this important moment.

Be the first to know who Barack selects as his running mate:

Thanks,

David

David Plouffe
Campaign Manager
Obama for America

SmthBluCitrus
08-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Yea, I got that message too. I'm shocked he's announcing during the Olympics. I think he should've announced last wednesday or thursday and that it's bad timing now, but what do I know?

I'm still hearing Bayh rumblings.

IS27NY
08-11-2008, 01:09 AM
Does it matter who the VP is by now, I dont really think so

BG7
08-11-2008, 02:05 AM
Yea, I got that message too. I'm shocked he's announcing during the Olympics. I think he should've announced last wednesday or thursday and that it's bad timing now, but what do I know?

This is better imo.

Now that the opening ceremonies and initial few days are over, where the Olypmics are in middrift, where he can steal the headline. In addition, NBC is going to have a news break for Obama, so he will be reaching a large audience with the newsbreaks on NBC during the olympics. And no doubt he has a large ad buy planned for the rest of the Olympics.

I think better now than waiting until Team USA is going for the gold medal, or Michael Phelps is going for #8. He's going to have to do it during the Olypmics if he wants to do it before the convention.

I think it will be one of these three people: Hillary is my favorite (not my favorite, but most likely) for the job, Edwards is #2 most likely imo, and hten Richardson #3.

I'm fine with any of those 3, but am still holding out hope Chris Dodd gets the job.

Really don't want Evan Bayh, Tim Kaine (I actually like this guy, but I don't see how he helps Obama), and definitely not Biden or Sebuliisus.

Also, I think McCain is going to stupidly announce his VP during the Democratic convention.

DenButsu
08-11-2008, 02:24 AM
I wonder if trying to keep Obama in the news cycle while he's on vacation is part of their reasoning?

plpfctn
08-11-2008, 04:22 AM
got it too. it'll be evan bayh. VERY sucessful gov. and senator of indiana, a swing state. he maybe boring (i don't think so), but he's very intelligent, well spoken, great debater, past successes, experienced, well respected, likable, easy on the eyes and scandal free.

DenButsu
08-11-2008, 05:05 AM
Wouldn't it be great if it was Bill Clinton?

j/k of course, but I can't think of a choice that would blow people's minds more than that.

gcoll
08-11-2008, 05:49 AM
j/k of course, but I can't think of a choice that would blow people's minds more than that.
Cheney.

That would blow everyone's mind.

DenButsu
08-11-2008, 06:17 AM
Cheney.

That would blow everyone's mind.

Okay, you win.

ari1013
08-11-2008, 10:07 AM

I bet it won't happen for another couple of days. Probably not until Monday. He's building hype right now. Getting people to talk about him -- because otherwise The Olympics kind of trumps all news.

SmthBluCitrus
08-11-2008, 10:17 AM
As a Democrat I don't necessarily want it to be Evan Bayh. I think he's an opportunist (you could argue most politicians are, but I think Bayh is moreso). I've read a couple of articles on him recently that tend to turn me away from him (then again, I've always been a Jim Webb for VP supporter, even if it's not going to happen).

http://www.openleft.com/showDiary.do;jsessionid=E8B09FF6FE411B168222A2852B ABCD44?diaryId=7339
http://www.talkleft.com/story/2008/8/5/15132/94711

ari1013
08-11-2008, 10:24 AM
As a Democrat I don't necessarily want it to be Evan Bayh. I think he's an opportunist (you could argue most politicians are, but I think Bayh is moreso). I've read a couple of articles on him recently that tend to turn me away from him (then again, I've always been a Jim Webb for VP supporter, even if it's not going to happen).

http://www.openleft.com/showDiary.do;jsessionid=E8B09FF6FE411B168222A2852B ABCD44?diaryId=7339
http://www.talkleft.com/story/2008/8/5/15132/94711
The blogosphere doesn't like him because he's too centrist. I don't really buy into their arguments against him. The guy's from Indiana. How progressive can you possibly be and yet still get elected?

If you actually look at his voting record and compare it with other politicians from similar-leaning states, he's actually fairly liberal within that subset. Overall, I wouldn't call him center-left, but he's on the left of the center if that makes any sense.

SmthBluCitrus
08-11-2008, 10:24 AM
I bet it won't happen for another couple of days. Probably not until Monday. He's building hype right now. Getting people to talk about him -- because otherwise The Olympics kind of trumps all news.

Could be. If he doesn't do it by tomorrow he probably won't announce until next week. Womens team gymnastics finals are wednesday -- always big news -- and announcing at the end of the week wouldn't get the tv coverage he'd hope for.

ari1013
08-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Could be. If he doesn't do it by tomorrow he probably won't announce until next week. Womens team gymnastics finals are wednesday -- always big news -- and announcing at the end of the week wouldn't get the tv coverage he'd hope for.
Exactly. By next week people will be looking for something new and a VP announcement could fill that void.

SmthBluCitrus
08-11-2008, 10:41 AM
The blogosphere doesn't like him because he's too centrist. I don't really buy into their arguments against him. The guy's from Indiana. How progressive can you possibly be and yet still get elected?

If you actually look at his voting record and compare it with other politicians from similar-leaning states, he's actually fairly liberal within that subset. Overall, I wouldn't call him center-left, but he's on the left of the center if that makes any sense.

True enough. And yes, I completely understand what you mean.

And, although it isn't going to affect my vote, I just don't think the guy fits the Obama message. Bayh certainly isn't a Washington "insider" and appears to have stayed fairly clean, but (looking ahead eight years from now) I don't see him furthering his political career this way. And, I don't think it unites the party, soothing the battered soul of the Clinton supporters.

Besides, we have a popular Democratic Senator in Indiana ... do we want to lose that?

arkanian215
08-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Barack Obama is about to make one of the most important decisions of this campaign -- choosing a running mate.

You have helped build this movement from the bottom up, and Barack wants you to be the first to know his choice.

You will receive an email the moment Barack makes his decision, or you can text VP to 62262 to receive a text message on your mobile phone.

Once you've signed up, please forward this email to your friends, family, and coworkers to let them know about this special opportunity.

No other campaign has done this before. You can be part of this important moment.

Thanks,

David

David Plouffe
Campaign Manager
Obama for America

ummm.... spam alert?

SmthBluCitrus
08-11-2008, 11:00 AM
That isn't spam. It's a follow-up response to his initial post and the entire reason for this thread -- that Obama is set to announce his VP.

DenButsu
08-11-2008, 11:04 AM
The blogosphere doesn't like him because he's too centrist.

TPM has come out against him (http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/07/bayh_as_veep_he_cochaired_wing.php) on these grounds:

Bayh As Veep? But He Co-Chaired Neocon Committee For The Liberation Of Iraq With McCain!
By Greg Sargent - July 16, 2008, 6:03PM

Senator Evan Bayh's appearance today with Barack Obama at the "21st Century Threats" summit has stirred a lot of talk in the press about the possibility of him being on Obama's Veep short-list.

But we're not sure that's such a viable idea. That's because in 2003, Bayh was an honorary co-chair of the neocon pro-war Committee for the Liberation of Iraq -- a group he joined along with none other than John McCain and Joe Lieberman, according to a press release from during the run-up to the invasion.

Check this out, from the group's press release on February 14th, 2003 (via Nexis):

The Committee for the Liberation of Iraq (CLI) is pleased to welcome Sen. Evan Bayh (D-Ind.) as an Honorary Co-Chairman. Bayh becomes the third U.S. Senator to join the committee after Sens. Joe Lieberman (D-Conn.) and John McCain (R-Ariz.) announced their participation on January 28.

The Committee is a neo-con group that was formed to propagandize the country into war. It boasted such illustrious neocon members as Bill Kristol, former CIA director James Woolsey, and even McCain senior foreign policy adviser and Chalabi-bamboozler Randy Scheunemann, whom Josh has been blogging about.

Bayh would, to put it very charitably, muddle Obama's message. It's true that Bayh was said to have subsequently removed himself from the group. But Obama's campaign is partly about -- and rightly so -- the judgment he made, and others didn't, in the run-up to the invasion.

The McCain campaign and the Repubs would have a grand time mocking the choice. Indeed, the McCain camp is already trying to make an issue of Bayh's past.

"We know Obama isn't interested in the facts on the ground in Iraq, but one would think he'd at least be interested in the facts about those rumored to be at the top of his VP list.," McCain spokesperson Michael Goldfarb emailed us about Bayh. The Obama camp didn't immediately comment.

phlp_bj
08-11-2008, 11:25 AM
i hope its someone random. out of the blue. that would be hilarious

Doc Fluty
08-11-2008, 11:32 AM
pelosi?

lol... god no

arkanian215
08-11-2008, 12:43 PM

Thanks,

David

David Plouffe
Campaign Manager
Obama for America

haha wow i thought this was a joke at first.

BG7
08-11-2008, 01:25 PM
CNN is saying that he actually is announcing it via text message and email. It won't be a text message/tv ad, turn on your tv, the announcement is about to be made.

Bill Clinton, unfortunately, can't be the VP. That idea was thrown out during the primary, and some Constitutional Lawyer debunked it.

Al Gore in the energy czar role would be great, but I don't think Al Gore has the balls to try to put this stuff into action, and is just a sensationalist. He won't want to be put in a position like this to be held accountable. He will leave it on someone else to be accountable, and then snatch all the credit because he was such a sensationalist.

yaowowrocket11
08-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Chris Dodd would be an excellent choice, IMO.

OC Knights #11
08-11-2008, 08:50 PM
man i thought hiliary was already vp. Politics are boring and to ****ing hard to understand.

.Sean.
08-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Chris Dodd would be an excellent choice, IMO.

:nod: Leagalize weed :jumpy:

OnWisconsin2007
08-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Please god let it happen...

DenButsu
08-11-2008, 10:07 PM
pelosi?

lol... god no

And here is what I believe to be the first time I find myself in agreement with Doc Fluty.

Not that Obama would ever pick her in a million years, but.... lol and no is right.

gcoll
08-11-2008, 11:22 PM
In all seriousness....it's gotta be Hillary.

SwaggaIke
08-11-2008, 11:26 PM
:nod: Leagalize weed :jumpy:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::smoking::smoking::smoking ::smoking:

sboyajian
08-12-2008, 08:17 AM
Wouldn't it be great if it was Bill Clinton?

j/k of course, but I can't think of a choice that would blow people's minds more than that.That's not the only thing that would get blown..

:rimshot:

yaowowrocket11
08-12-2008, 12:07 PM
That's not the only thing that would get blown..

:rimshot:

Good ol' stupid political jokes about Bill...........

DenButsu
08-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Former McCain ally touted for Obama's VP

Former Republican Rep. Jim Leach endorsed Barack Obama's White House bid Tuesday, and said he hopes the Illinois senator considers a former GOP ally of rival John McCain as his running mate.

Speaking on a conference call with reporters to announce a new effort among Republicans in support of Obama's candidacy, Leach said he thought Nebraska Sen. Chuck Hagel should join the Democratic ticket.

"There are a number of impressive potential vice presidential candidates and this is a singular decision for one person, and that is Barack Obama," Leach said. "But personally I'd be hopeful in the list of serious candidates to be considered would be Chuck Hagel, whether it be for the veep position or a serious position in an Obama administration."

Hagel, who has butted heads with his party over the war in Iraq and is not seeking a third Senate term, has said he would consider a VP offer from Obama. But it remains unclear just how much of a consideration Hagel is.

While the Vietnam War veteran would instantly add gravitas and bipartisanship to the ticket, his longstanding opposition to abortion rights and gay marriage would not sit well with the Democratic base.

Speaking on the conference call Tuesday, Leach also said Obama's record will resonate with many Republicans.

"I also have no doubt that a lot of republicans and independents are going to be attracted to his call for a new era of non-ideological, bipartisan decision making," he said. "While there've been a lot of flaws in this year's primary process, it is simply impressive how a candidate's unusual gifts have come forth with a singular commitment to recapture the American dream."
cnn (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/08/12/former-mccain-ally-touted-for-obamas-vp/)

I hope Obama doesn't choose a Republican running mate, but endorsements are more than welcome.

ari1013
08-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Forget about Leach. My surprise pick is still who it was 6 months ago: Lincoln Chafee.

ari1013
08-12-2008, 10:24 PM
cnn (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/08/12/former-mccain-ally-touted-for-obamas-vp/)

I hope Obama doesn't choose a Republican running mate, but endorsements are more than welcome.
Oh and this one's probably actually a little more important: http://www.newsminer.com/news/2008/aug/12/mayor-whitaker-endorses-obama/

That's the first non-centrist Republican politician to openly support Obama

DenButsu
08-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Forget about Leach. My surprise pick is still who it was 6 months ago: Lincoln Chafee.

Well, if I'm reading that right, Leach is pushing for Hagel, not himself (at least on the surface).

Chafee, huh? That's someone I don't know.

DenButsu
08-13-2008, 02:25 AM
Democratic Convention Theme Taken From Wes Clark's PAC
Seth Colter Walls
August 11, 2008 02:38 PM

My colleague Sam Stein reported earlier today that Barack Obama's VP choice will speak on the veteran-themed third night of the Democratic convention. As he noted, top Obama officials immediately poured water on any speculation that this coincidence necessarily signals a VP with military experience.

But here's one more interesting connection that hints ever-so-slightly toward the selection of a veteran veep, submitted by a sharp reader.

According to USA Today, the theme for Wednesday, Aug. 27 is "Securing America's Future," which just also happens to be the name of Gen. Wesley Clark's political action committee. (The URL for its website is simply "SecuringAmerica.com," but FEC filings list the full name.)

For what it's worth, an aide to Gen. Clark could not restrain near-riotous laughter when asked if there was anything behind the connection.

"I don't think it's anything more than an interesting coincidence," the aide said in between convulsions. "It's just because his PAC was named so well!"

Still, it's not as though the party is randomly naming each day of the convention. The theme for Thursday, when Obama will speak, is the familiar-sounding "Change You Can Believe In."huffpo (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/11/theme-for-third-night-of_n_118221.html)

Even with the "controversy" surrounding his comments about McCain, this pick still makes sense to me. Clinton supporter... patches in one of Obama's perceived weaknesses in comparison to John McCain (national defense and foreign policy)... Washington outsider who isn't from the "same old Washington" status quo so he's consistent with the change message...

I find this at least very plausible.

ari1013
08-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Well, if I'm reading that right, Leach is pushing for Hagel, not himself (at least on the surface).

Chafee, huh? That's someone I don't know.
Chafee switched over to independent shortly after losing his Senate race in 2006. He was one of the first big name Obama supporters (in general, not just from the Right). He's charismatic, fits the unity theme, and never really simply voted down party-lines.

Here's the old thread from February: http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191404

If Obama's going to cross the aisle, Chafee would be the safest pick for him.

As for that Wes Clark prediction, that's a very good possibility as well. For whatever reason, Clark's been surging on InTrade. Someone knows (or thinks they know) something.

Lady's Man
08-15-2008, 11:38 PM
wesley clark is garbage. Everyone that knows him hates him. So im guessing obama wont pick him.

DenButsu
08-16-2008, 12:28 AM
Everyone that knows him hates him.

Can you please post some evidence supporting that assertion?

b1e9a8r5s
08-18-2008, 03:14 PM
I think Obama will choose Biden. Obama has failed to open up a big lead in the polls and some of that can be contributed to McCain "going negative" against him. While Obama doesn't appear to be comfortable going negative and really can't afford to after all the rhetoric about staying above the fray and practicing a new kind of politics, I think Biden could be an "attack dog" and hit the McCain camp harder than Obama would himself. Also, Biden bring some foriegn policy creditability which wouldn't hurt Obama given his experience or lack there of.

(Note: I'm not trying to get into the McCain going negative back and forth, just giving my opinion of what I think Obama will do given the current state of the race)

SmthBluCitrus
08-18-2008, 03:19 PM
I think Obama will choose Biden. Obama has failed to open up a big lead in the polls and some of that can be contributed to McCain "going negative" against him. While Obama doesn't appear to be comfortable going negative and really can't afford to after all the rhetoric about staying above the fray and practicing a new kind of politics, I think Biden could be an "attack dog" and hit the McCain camp harder than Obama would himself. Also, Biden bring some foriegn policy creditability which wouldn't hurt Obama given his experience or lack there of.

(Note: I'm not trying to get into the McCain going negative back and forth, just giving my opinion of what I think Obama will do given the current state of the race)

LoL! That's hilarious! Seriously, were you just reading the bleedingheartland.com blogs or the Chicago Sun-Times because I just got done reading that exact same thing.

I wouldn't mind seeing Biden; I think he'd be a great choice and would really do a lot to help secure the election. But, I really don't want to lose him in the Senate. He can do a lot there, and as VP he could be left in the shadows of an Obama administration.

I still hear from my friends that there is a "greater than 50/50 chance" of the VP being Evan Bayh. But, we should find out this week.

b1e9a8r5s
08-18-2008, 03:21 PM
LoL! That's hilarious! Seriously, were you just reading the bleedingheartland.com blogs or the Chicago Sun-Times because I just got done reading that exact same thing.

I wouldn't mind seeing Biden; I think he'd be a great choice and would really do a lot to help secure the election. But, I really don't want to lose him in the Senate. He can do a lot there, and as VP he could be left in the shadows of an Obama administration.

I still hear from my friends that there is a "greater than 50/50 chance" of the VP being Evan Bayh. But, we should find out this week.

Haha, no I wasn't. They did mention it on meet the press yesterday when they were going over the VP canidates, and I tend to agree with that line of thinking.

b1e9a8r5s
08-18-2008, 09:17 PM
McCain is expected to name his VP Friday the 29th, the day after Obama accepts his nomination. The logic being to surpress the bounce Obama will get after the convention.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12619.html

Mr swag
08-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Gore does not have a speaking role when obama already claimed gore will have a big part of the convention!

and there is only one slot open and it's for the VP

it's a surprise pick, thats why gore is no where to be found and how can u ever have a convention without having the last VP give a speech?

and the slot the VP will give a speech this year is 4 national sercurity night, no one has more expreience then GORE!!!!! he has already been VP for 8 years and has no dirt in his background

call me a genius that i have sloved the case

b1e9a8r5s
08-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Gore does not have a speaking role when obama already claimed gore will have a big part of the convention!

and there is only one slot open and it's for the VP

it's a surprise pick, thats why gore is no where to be found and how can u ever have a convention without having the last VP give a speech?

and the slot the VP will give a speech this year is 4 national sercurity night, no one has more expreience then GORE!!!!! he has already been VP for 8 years and has no dirt in his background

call me a genius that i have sloved the case

Interesting theory, although since there's no link or source and it's just your speculation, it should probably go in the VP thread. :p I think it will be Biden though.

yaowowrocket11
08-18-2008, 11:25 PM
Don't think so. My hope is Chris Dodd.

SmthBluCitrus
08-18-2008, 11:41 PM
Won't be Gore. He can do more outside of politics and in the world of mass media.

Nice theory though. :D

redsox12
08-18-2008, 11:47 PM
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) plans to celebrate his 72nd birthday on Aug. 29 by naming his running mate at a huge rally in the battleground state of Ohio, Republican sources said.

yahoo.com

hoping for Romney:)

dbroncos78087
08-18-2008, 11:49 PM
I havent followed the Republicans too closely but didnt he have some sort of argument/disagreement/etc. with Romney? I remember something about it but not the details.

blenderboy5
08-18-2008, 11:54 PM
From Obama's point of view, Gore's a good chice. From the DNC's point of view, Gore's a good choice for the presidency. From Gore's point of view, he can brainwash... errrr produce completely unspun facts outside of the Oval Office

DenButsu
08-19-2008, 12:06 AM
Obama Ready to Announce Running Mate This Week

Senator Barack Obama has all but settled on his choice for a running mate and set an elaborate rollout plan for his decision, beginning with an early morning alert to supporters, perhaps as soon as Wednesday morning, aides said.

Mr. Obama’s deliberations remain remarkably closely held. Aides said perhaps a half-dozen advisers were involved in the final discussions in an effort to enforce a command that Mr. Obama issued to staff members: that his decision not leak out until supporters are notified.

Mr. Obama had not notified his choice — or any of those not selected — of his decision as of late Monday, advisers said. Going into the final days, Mr. Obama was said to be focused mainly on three candidates: Senator Evan Bayh of Indiana, Gov. Tim Kaine of Virginia and Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr. of Delaware.

Some Democrats said they still hoped that he would choose Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York, or Gov. Kathleen Sebelius of Kansas, who has been under steady consideration by Mr. Obama’s campaign.

By all indications, Mr. Obama is likely to choose someone relatively safe and avoid taking a chance with a game-changing selection. A similar strategic choice now faces Mr. Obama’s Republican rival, Senator John McCain of Arizona, who has been under pressure from some Republicans to make a more daring choice.

Mr. Obama’s advisers said he all but reached his decision while on vacation in Hawaii. They said it was the end of what proved to be an unexpectedly intense process, condensed because he did not want to start actively vetting potential running mates before Mrs. Clinton quit the race in June. nytimes (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/19/us/politics/19veep.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin)

redsox12
08-19-2008, 12:36 PM
I havent followed the Republicans too closely but didnt he have some sort of argument/disagreement/etc. with Romney? I remember something about it but not the details.

They don't share the same values but in the end, I think he will take him to draw in the far right who is in love with Romney.

yaowowrocket11
08-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Both running mates are getting announced soon. Nice.

blenderboy5
08-19-2008, 01:22 PM

Basically McCain lied (wow big shock) and was all like "I'm the only republican who originally supported the surge I rock I'm amazing vote for me" and Romney was like "Actually that's not entirely true" and the media said "Shut up we're sucking on McCain's dick he's the front runner even though he has less delegates and primaries."

But they kissed and made up.

GA16Angels
08-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Please be Bill Richardson :pray:

Mr swag
08-19-2008, 01:53 PM

i want bill also

yaowowrocket11
08-19-2008, 02:00 PM

Bill Richardson would be a good choice as well.

blenderboy5
08-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Bill Richardson has the uncanny ability to always fit a negative stereotype. When people are mad about amnesty, he looks Mexican. When peole are concerned about terrorism, he grows a beard and looks like a creepy looking arab

yaowowrocket11
08-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Bill Richardson has the uncanny ability to always fit a negative stereotype. When people are mad about amnesty, he looks Mexican. When peole are concerned about terrorism, he grows a beard and looks like a creepy looking arab

Yeah, that beard isn't working for him.

SmthBluCitrus
08-19-2008, 07:23 PM
BIDEN: 'I'M NOT THE GUY'

From NBC/NJ's Mike Memoli
As Delaware Sen. Joe Biden left his home a few minutes ago, golf clubs in tow, he was asked where he was going to be on Saturday.

Biden replied, "Here" and pointed down to his driveway.

As he pulled out of the driveway in the driver's seat of his car he then said to the press gathered near his gate, "You guys have better things to do. I'm not the guy."
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/08/19/1276323.aspx

It ain't Joe.

I'm kind of relieved about that; I like him in the Senate a whole lot more. But, kind of leaves it somewhere between Kaine and Bayh -- my money is on Bayh.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/veep_watch/2008/08/biden_im_not_the_guy.html

DenButsu
08-20-2008, 01:50 AM

Creepy looking Arab? (http://www.danieldrezner.com/archives/richardson02_600.jpg)

Maybe to crazed paranoiac militia members.

He looks more like a high school guidance counselor to me. Goofy? Probably. Creepy? Not so much.

I like Richardson, but he's a Cabinet guy, not a veep pick imho.

blenderboy5
08-20-2008, 02:29 AM
Yeah he looks normal in that pic kinda like a nice weird older dude.

But some of his other bearded pics? Just plain creepy.

And my money's on Kaine. Just me though.

DenButsu
08-20-2008, 02:41 AM
Yeah he looks normal in that pic kinda like a nice weird older dude.

But some of his other bearded pics? Just plain creepy.

And my money's on Kaine. Just me though.

I've given up trying to guess. We'll know soon enough anyhow. I will say this much: In this day and age where it seems like just about everything gets leaked, I'm pretty impressed with both camps' ability thus far to keep a lid on things.

yaowowrocket11
08-20-2008, 01:39 PM
I think it will be Bayh as well.

Although, I am still hoping for a surprise pick in Dodd!

nascar10294
08-20-2008, 08:32 PM
^Eh, I dont think that it will be Dodd. There has been some new rumblings of his whole morgatage thing here in CT, and heard on local news that there is the possibility that he will get impeeched. Its too much of a risk.

yaowowrocket11
08-20-2008, 08:38 PM
^Eh, I dont think that it will be Dodd. There has been some new rumblings of his whole morgatage thing here in CT, and heard on local news that there is the possibility that he will get impeeched. Its too much of a risk.

Honestly, I believe that the news is bogus, and unimportant. No way in hell one of the best and current longest tenured senators in the country gets impeached.

nascar10294
08-20-2008, 08:45 PM
^But if it is true, it could happen, imo.

b1e9a8r5s
08-22-2008, 06:31 PM
This is on Drudge...

FLASH: Fri Aug 22 2008 17:52:03 ET /// KMBC's Micheal Mahoney reports a company in Kansas City, which specializes in political literature, has been printing Obama-Bayh material... MORE... Gill Studios, would not confirm information about the material. They would not deny it either. At least three sources close to the plant's operations reported the Obama-Bayh material was being produced...

dbroncos78087
08-22-2008, 06:38 PM
No wonder, this guy has the ticket to the elderly vote, even McCain.

Let me explain, look at his committees.

* Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
* Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
o Subcommittee on Financial Institutions
o Subcommittee on Securities, Insurance and Investment
o Subcommittee on Security and International Trade and Finance (Chairman)
* Committee on Armed Services
o Subcommittee on Airland
o Subcommittee on Emerging Threats and Capabilities
o Subcommittee on Readiness and Management Support
* Select Committee on Intelligence
* Special Committee on Aging

He knows where the Fountain of Youth is!

CubsGirl
08-22-2008, 07:19 PM
So, before this moment. I had no idea whoever this was existed.

BG7
08-22-2008, 07:22 PM
No, Bayh is not the candidate. It has been confirmed that Barack Obama has notified Tim Kaine and Evan Bayh that they will not be his pick.

This leaves Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, and Chet Edwards out of the big three, and darkhorses of Chris Dodd and Bill Richardson. (Edwards was a darkhorse until today).

Rosh
08-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Yeah, they were talking about the possibility of Bayh as the Veep on the news a few days ago.

dbroncos78087
08-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Yeah, they were talking about the possibility of Bayh as the Veep on the news a few days ago.

They just reported about him on "Fair and Balanced".

b1e9a8r5s
08-22-2008, 08:41 PM
No, Bayh is not the candidate. It has been confirmed that Barack Obama has notified Tim Kaine and Evan Bayh that they will not be his pick.

It's been confirmed? Care to show a link?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26336195/

I'm sure this was what your talking about.

Drucifer
08-22-2008, 11:03 PM
WABC announced Biden is getting Secret Service protection as of tonight

Drucifer
08-22-2008, 11:07 PM
WABC is reporting that Sen Biden has been assign Secret Service protection.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/politics&id=6342660

Rosh
08-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Mm, it looks like it's going to be an Obama/Biden ticket.

{º¿º}
08-22-2008, 11:44 PM
...makes sense considering Biden's son tried to coverup the story about Obama's alleged homosexual encounters and the dead male lover. :smoking:

ThatTomGuy
08-23-2008, 12:05 AM
Lol, I live about a mile from Biden's house, but don't know where it is.

I think it's a good choice for Obama.

DenButsu
08-23-2008, 12:31 AM
...makes sense considering Biden's son tried to coverup the story about Obama's alleged homosexual encounters and the dead male lover. :smoking:

Fail.

DenButsu
08-23-2008, 12:35 AM
Until there is an official announcement from the Obama campaign declaring definitively who his choice is, please don't make any new threads about rumors of who it might be. They've already said the announcement will come Saturday morning.

Thank you. :cool:

BG7
08-23-2008, 01:00 AM
Hillary Clinton and Chris Dodd are now added to the list of those who received calls informing them they were not the choice. That's a shame, Dodd is so much better than Biden imo.

So that leaves Biden, Chet Edwards, and Sebelius out of the knowns. I hope Edwards out of those 3, and worst case scenario would be Sebelius. Also, Al Gore, Bill Richardson, and Caroline Kennedy are still in it as darkhorses.

Max Power
08-23-2008, 01:01 AM
CNN is now confirming Biden, as well.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/23/biden.democrat.vp.candidate/index.html

With Biden, the Vice Presidential debates will be watchable for the first time in history.

blenderboy5
08-23-2008, 01:08 AM
Wow Joe Biden? Kinda a shock for me. I was really hoping Obama would pick someone with executive experience but I understand why he chose Biden

BG7
08-23-2008, 01:10 AM
No text message though, so it's not official.

If Obama wanted to get back at the media for all the negative coverage, his plan could be going according to plan. All of the stations are reporting that Biden is the VP, except MSNBC which is reporting that the Associated Press is reporting that Obama selected Biden.

Obama could really embarrass the media by having someone like Chet Edwards announced tomorrow.

DenButsu
08-23-2008, 01:22 AM
CNN is now confirming Biden, as well.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/23/biden.democrat.vp.candidate/index.html

With Biden, the Vice Presidential debates will be watchable for the first time in history.

Wow, right you are (http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/23/biden.democrat.vp.candidate/index.html):

Sources: Obama picks Joe Biden as VP candidate

(CNN) -- Sen. Barack Obama has picked Delaware Sen. Joe Biden to be his running mate, multiple Democratic sources tell CNN.

The longtime Democratic senator was long considered a likely choice for vice president, but the buzz surrounding him intensified after he returned earlier this week from a two-day trip to the Republic of Georgia after Russian troops invaded.

Biden, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, brings years of experience that could help counter GOP arguments that an Obama administration would be inexperienced on foreign policy.

Guess the Obama camp couldn't keep the lid on - or didn't want to.

DenButsu
08-23-2008, 01:23 AM

Well, we still don't know McCain's pick. Signs pointing to Romney? That seems to be the latest buzz on the surface, but I haven't dug in too deeply...

BG7
08-23-2008, 01:24 AM
Epic fail by the Obama campaign, unless they are just trying to make the media look like a fool for jumping the gun.

Max Power
08-23-2008, 01:28 AM
Well, we still don't know McCain's pick. Signs pointing to Romney? That seems to be the latest buzz on the surface, but I haven't dug in too deeply...

It doesn't matter. Biden doesn't hold back and doesn't seem to use the same canned, rehearsed BS that many politicians use. Kind of a loose cannon, should be fun in debates.

b1e9a8r5s
08-23-2008, 03:11 AM
Epic fail by the Obama campaign, unless they are just trying to make the media look like a fool for jumping the gun.

I'm a McCain guy, so I'd be happy to bash Obama generally, but I don't see what the big deal is. I was surprised that it didn't get out sooner and really at the end of the day, what difference does it make?

ari1013
08-23-2008, 11:22 AM
it's that whole 3 am phone call thing again

fins08
08-23-2008, 03:45 PM
How many of you will decide who the Prez is based on the VP? b1e9a8r5s Is right, what difference does it make. Unless each VP says something unbelievably stupid, it won't affect the race too much.

littlejeterfrea
08-23-2008, 04:13 PM
I'm voting against Obama, and I would love to vote for a ticket of McCain/Romney. I don't think I would vote for McCain if he picks Lieberman for VP though, so his VP choice does make some difference. McCain needs to pick a VP who will win the "far-right" votes and the Christian/religious votes, which Romney will help him do.

blenderboy5
08-23-2008, 05:33 PM
If McCain's VP pick agrees with Obama on sucking brains out of fetuses or murdering babies who survive abortion, I'm just staying home. And it's not just me: a lot of conservatives will stay home this election if McCain picks a liberal or liberal republican (or anyone who is pro-choice).

SmthBluCitrus
08-23-2008, 05:42 PM
It would be a whole lot easier if you just said pro-life and pro-choice. I really like conversing with you BB, but seriously. That's enough.

blenderboy5
08-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Well there's different levels of pro-choice and pro-life:) And yes, it's for the shock value. If my presidential candidate supported killing babies (and yes, they are killing babies) who survive an aboriton) I'd be a bit sensitive too.

But if it bothers you that badly I'll refrain unless we're in a thread specifically about mccain/obama's views on abortion

ari1013
08-23-2008, 07:51 PM
How many of you will decide who the Prez is based on the VP? b1e9a8r5s Is right, what difference does it make. Unless each VP says something unbelievably stupid, it won't affect the race too much.
Some people who liked Obama but were nervous about his lack of credentials may now feel safer voting for Obama. I believe we should see the undecideds start to diminish in the next two weeks as Biden and Romney(?) are announced.

yaowowrocket11
08-23-2008, 10:22 PM
If McCain's VP pick agrees with Obama on sucking brains out of fetuses or murdering babies who survive abortion, I'm just staying home. And it's not just me: a lot of conservatives will stay home this election if McCain picks a liberal or liberal republican (or anyone who is pro-choice).

I am liberal, but the one thing I disagree with on the right side is pro-life, because I am pro-life. But seriously, not necessary. I agree with you on the issue, but those terms aren't correct.

blenderboy5
08-23-2008, 10:54 PM
I understand why some people are bothered. But by giving an accurate description of partial birth abortion and talking about the baby-killing (not abortion, but actual baby killing) Obama supported, it shows the horrors Obama favors. But as I promised SBC, I won't mention it in this thread anymore.

americanoutlaw
08-23-2008, 11:09 PM
If McCain want to do a shocking out of the box pick than he Should pick Alaska Governor Sarah Palin she could do some damages

ari1013
08-24-2008, 09:11 AM
If McCain want to do a shocking out of the box pick than he Should pick Alaska Governor Sarah Palin she could do some damages
Considering she's involved in a scandal right now, I REALLY hope he does pick her because she will heavily damage his chances.

Lady's Man
08-24-2008, 03:18 PM
mitt romney

CrippledRam
08-24-2008, 04:08 PM
I want Jindal or Rudy if it's not Mitt.

blenderboy5
08-24-2008, 04:21 PM
He won't pick Giuliani, as McCain doesn't have down syndrome

SmthBluCitrus
08-24-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm pretty sure it's going to be Tim Pawlenty out of Minnesota.

blenderboy5
08-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Is he their governor? I'm not familiar with the name

SmthBluCitrus
08-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Yep. He's a younger guy, and pretty popular in the state. And, Minnesota is a state that the McCain people think they can "steal away" from Obama.

He's a labor friendly populist Republican governor, and a future star in the party. And, when I was working for the coordinated here in Iowa I heard that we should be prepared to run against him. ;)

yaowowrocket11
08-24-2008, 07:45 PM
If its Joe Lieberman, I am signing a impeachment petition for him out of the Senate. I don't want him representing CT!

DenButsu
08-24-2008, 07:49 PM
I'm pretty sure it's going to be Tim Pawlenty out of Minnesota.

A talking head from the right who was on Late Edition last night seemed dead certain it would be Romney.

Somehow, I can never see the name "Pawlenty" without thinking it's a phonetically spelled southern drawl pronunciation of "plenty".